Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 1:25:55 PM EDT
I'm having trouble with one mag failing to lock my bolt back. It's an otherwise smooth feeding alloy follower USGI 20rd mag.
The bolt holds open on the last round with all other magazines,even crappy Orlites. This magazine will not hold the bolt, even when the bolt/carrier is manually retracted.
Is spring tension usually the reason for a mag failing to hold the bolt,or is it lip/follower distortion?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Spring prolly, but i have one that won't with different aluminum followers and new wolf spring.???
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it one of Wolff's +15% type springs? How does it feed.
The thing is, this magazine feeds flawlessly and is very slick. It might just be that the bolt catch itself is just a bit too stiff in it's movement. It is in a new rifle build after all. I tested the rifle with about 10 magazines last night,including 2 other USGI 20's. One 20 was iffy,but the other was fine.
Ah well, it's destined to be a range mag I guess.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a used mag made in 1966. Bolt would not hold open after last round.  I pulled out spring and stretched it by pulling it by hand.  Put it back in and it works fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you need a new magazine spring.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top