Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 3:52:27 PM EDT
I'm a newbe, this has probably been covered, but I'm lazy. Anyway, I have a new RRA .223 varmitter that the bolt will fail to close completely much of the time. I must hit the forward assist to close it. It locks closed when cycling without a magazine in. I think the problem is related to the mags that I'm using; but before I run out and buy some new ones I thought I would ask the gods. Please let me know what you think. I'll add any more info that you need.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you properly cleaned and lubricated the rifle? Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, I believe so. The fact that it cycles fine without a mag in leads me to believe that the bolt is catching on the mags and not closing properly, but WTF do I know? My only other thought is that the bolt doesn't travel back far enough when firing so it doesn't have enough momentum to close all the way. I'm using Federal 50 gr FMJ hollow pts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have to use the FA to close the bolt on a mag loaded with ammo? Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
To Charles, yes, I must hit the FA  to close. It stops about 1/4'' from closing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the ammo newly manufactured or reloads? Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
New. I saw a just saw a post in the magazine forum dealing with a similar problem. He had trouble feeding, mine feeds fine though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to say this but I think you need to review the cleaning and lube procedures available on 'TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite'. In my experience improper cleaning and lube are responsible for a lot of AR15 operational problems. IM me if any questions. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Gun is chambered Wylde, ammo being used is new Federal .223. I have cleaned the upper and guts; they seem to be working fine with no ammo. I can manually seat a round and it will fall out when the gun is tilted up and the bolt is locked open. I have not used the 10 round clip that came with the  gun (Colt)  but I am using 2- 30 round clips that I bought from the dealer (Center Industries, Adventure Line).  The mouth of the Colt clip is very different than the other two which look identical even though they are from diff. manufact.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest you try the Colt 10 round mag and see if it feeds. Also, be sure the charging handle is lubed on top. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Axxe.  I am a newb too and have just ordered the same RRA.  Let me know how you make out with that problem.

Thanks
AP
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I now believe that the problem is a combination of not enough CLP on the carrier and bolt and the crappy mags. I haven't had a chance to test this theory yet; I'll let you know. By the way, this gun is fricken' nice; you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
By the way, this gun is fricken' nice; you won't be disappointed.

Me sooooooooo happy you said that.  Good luck with the improvements.

AP
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Problem solved with more CLP! Thanks to those who helped!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]
are you dropping the bolt forward or EASING it forward?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gun is chambered Wylde, ammo being used is new Federal .223. I have cleaned the upper and guts; they seem to be working fine with no ammo. I can manually seat a round and it will fall out when the gun is tilted up and the bolt is locked open. I have not used the 10 round clip that came with the  gun (Colt)  but I am using 2- 30 round clips that I bought from the dealer (Center Industries, Adventure Line).  The mouth of the Colt clip is very different than the other two which look identical even though they are from diff. manufact.

Maybe it IS the mags.  get some from NHMTG or D& H . .they can be had for as cheap as 9.97 each
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#17]
To Gravis; I was pulling back on the charging handle and letting it go. The carrier would stop about 1/4 inch short of closing completely. The problem seems to have been solved by cleaning the bolt and carrier and lubing with more CLP. I haven't tested it by firing yet; only cycling with the charging handle.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top