Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 4:08:54 PM EDT
Sorry if I don't use the proper terms, I'm a total newb.  I bought a used Bushmaster last weekend.  The first time I took it out everything worked perfect.  This Friday I got some Wolf ammo in the mail with my new mags and my new 6 pos stock.  I installed the stock, seemed pretty easy.

I took the AR out again today and for about the first 100 rounds or so things went smooth.  Then It jammed to the point I had to use my cleaning rod down the barrel to get it to eject the spent round.  That happened multiple times today.  That was the first problem.

The second thing that happened multiple times was that the bolt wouldn't push the next round into the chamber.  It would move the round maybe a 1/4" toward the chamber then just stop.  Since I was using a bunch of new mags, the new butt stock, and the Wold ammo...I didn't know what to attribute it to.  I wondered if it was binding the round during eject like the above bind but not fulling locking the bolt but taking away some of it's force for chambering the next round.

I was kind of thinking the ammo then I wondered about the spring on the new stock not being heavy enough.

I dunno, any thoughts?

-Kid
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
tag, as I have had a similar issue with my RRA lately.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Wolf ammo WILL do this to almost any AR, especially with a new one. it is the price you pay when shooting low quality ammo. the bottom line is if you are going to shoot wolf, bring a sturdy rod.  also, you may want to shoot 500 rounds or so of good, hot ammo (XM193 or Black Hills 55gr.) to break in your chamber. it should also be noted that i've noticed a trend with bushmaster recently where their chambers are a little on the tight side. i believe your feeding issues are either magazine related or, more likely, because your carrier and upper are still new and they haven't worn in together which adds a little friction, which slows down the return stroke of the carrier and bolt. this is yet another reason to shoot hot ammo initially (also make sure you clean out that grey factory coating commonly found inside new upper receivers) .  for a new rifle i always do two things: 1) upgrade to a wolff (no relation to the ammo mfg.) extra power extractor spring. 2) break in the chamber with quality ammo. YMMV. good luck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a used AR which has already been broken in.  Next time out I will shoot nothing but different ammo and see how it goes.

-Kid
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Dano523!

-Kid
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
i just started having the same problem also but it is with brass cased ammo to i also shot wolf but after last time at range i cleaned chamber real good and went out today same thing so i cleaned again and will try tommarow
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Also check to see that your gas ring gaps are not lined up, or close to being lined up.

BUY if your having to drive the spent rounds out  I would  get a sizing die. You can check the rounds to see if they are ok. I had a SA battle pack that easily 30% of the cases would not fit into a sizing die. If a round that fits the die still wont eject try looking for burs in your chamber.
BUY QUALITY AMMO
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also check to see that your gas ring gaps are not lined up, or close to being lined up.

This is a huge misconception,

When the rifle is fired, the gas rings will be in motion/rotation, and at any given time the rings splits may line up, or be non-aligned.

Simple put, I have completely lost a gas ring off the bolt of a rig, and it still ran with out problems on only the two.

Weird ,I guess though thats why the military teaches you that the first think to check for if your short stroking is to make sure your rings arent lined up????????
Then maybe to much grease/lube?
Then why are you susposed to stagger the rings? If it does not matter?
(To make sure as they rotate the chances of them lining up is slim. )
I've also read somewhere that it doesnt matter, but its hard to see why the Military teaches that for no reason. Ever tried to line them up and see what it does? I have one piece in my but will have to find my 3 singles and try it.
Have you ever tried it? Are you just speaking from hearsay
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Look closely at the chamber. Is there anything stuck to the walls near the neck/throat? Does the chamber wall look smooth/polished or are there lots of grooves and other marks?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I shoot tons of crap ammo, mostly Monarch, some Wolf, and whatever I can get for under $4 and preferably closer to $3.  Went through about 400 rounds w/i incident.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts.

1.  When you say"cleaned the chamber"  you are talking about using a chamberbrush and not just a swab, right?
2.  Make sure that the gas key isn't dragging on the gas tube and that there aren't any leaks around the gas key.  Does the gas key wiggle or is it tight on the carrier.
3.  Might not hurt to remove the front sight base and clean out the gas port on the barrel.
4.  "A wet rifle is a happy rifle." Use something a little heavier than CLP in the upper so it stay's in place.  I've used a gun grease on the 4 long "bearing surfaces" of the bolt carrier and ran the rest of the carrier dry without incident.  Lately, I've used Honda HP4 synthetic lately and like it so far.  Miltech may be better.
5.  A tip that I didn't know about CLP.  It's componenets can separate in the bottle.  Shake well before using.  Yea, I didn't RTFM when I started using it.
6.  The the buttstock come with its own buffer tube?  Is the new buffer tube properly lined up with the lower?  I'm wondering whether the bolt carrier is binding up a little in the buffer tube keeping the bolt from stripping a round properly.
7.  Is the barrel the stock Bushy barrel and marked for 5.56 and not .223?  This is just a WAG.
8.  From what I've heard, some rifles work fine with the ring gaps lines up.  I've not tried it although invariably mine usually wind up lined up.  I got a one piece ring because I don't want to have to worry about it.

Randall
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I shoot tons of crap ammo, mostly Monarch, some Wolf, and whatever I can get for under $4 and preferably closer to $3.  Went through about 400 rounds w/i incident.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts.

1.  When you say"cleaned the chamber"  you are talking about using a chamberbrush and not just a swab, right?
2.  Make sure that the gas key isn't dragging on the gas tube and that there aren't any leaks around the gas key.  Does the gas key wiggle or is it tight on the carrier.
3.  Might not hurt to remove the front sight base and clean out the gas port on the barrel.
4.  "A wet rifle is a happy rifle." Use something a little heavier than CLP in the upper so it stay's in place.  I've used a gun grease on the 4 long "bearing surfaces" of the bolt carrier and ran the rest of the carrier dry without incident.  Lately, I've used Honda HP4 synthetic lately and like it so far.  Miltech may be better.
5.  A tip that I didn't know about CLP.  It's componenets can separate in the bottle.  Shake well before using.  Yea, I didn't RTFM when I started using it.
6.  The the buttstock come with its own buffer tube?  Is the new buffer tube properly lined up with the lower?  I'm wondering whether the bolt carrier is binding up a little in the buffer tube keeping the bolt from stripping a round properly.
7.  Is the barrel the stock Bushy barrel and marked for 5.56 and not .223?  This is just a WAG.
8.  From what I've heard, some rifles work fine with the ring gaps lines up.  I've not tried it although invariably mine usually wind up lined up.  I got a one piece ring because I don't want to have to worry about it.

Randall

CLP doesn't separate. The stuff that settles is PTFE. Some CLP formulas are starting to phase out the PTFE so you may not find any.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Thread locked due to trolling and COC violations.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top