Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:03:20 PM EDT
I can't believe I am having difficulty with such a basic manuveur. I just received a new bolt carrier assembly and bolt from RRA. I have removed the retaining pin and firing pin. I have pulled the bolt back but I am unable to remove the cam pin because it will not clear the carrier key. Yes I have rotated the cam pin the usual 90 degrees but it will not clear the carrier key. I must be missing something basic but I'll be damned if I can firgure it out. Sorry for this bone head question. I am sure the answer is straight forward
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Has this been a problem unique to RRA bolt carriers?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My 1966 Colt SP1 had the same problem. This gun was in my Father's collection and until 18 months ago, the cam pin had never been removed. A little work with a jewelers file (slight bevel on cam pin upper edge) solved the problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
On stubborn ones, I usually try working it loose and then pull it out... If that doesn't do it then Id slightly file the cam pin not the gas key as it is a bit easier... The gas key is also close to the guide rail and its hard to avoid damaging it...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem. All I did was remove alittle material from the gas key with a dremel to allow the cam pin to be removed. 2K later, not one problem with it. Works like a champ!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the same problem, but it doesn't affect performance whatsoever.  I have fired over a thousand rounds with zero malfunctions.  After trying different cam pins, I realized that it was the carrier key.  I bought it from Eagle Firearms and I think they use RRA parts; not sure though.  

I contacted Eagle Firearms and they were more than willing to fix or replace it as needed, no questions asked.  Excellent customer service.        
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the same problem with my CMT bolt carrier.
The problem was the bolt.

I swapped in a new bolt and the cam pin drops in / comes out like butter. I did not file the gas key or touch the bolt carrier. A new bolt solved the problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I swapped in a new bolt and the cam pin drops in / comes out like butter. I did not file the gas key or touch the bolt carrier. A new bolt solved the problem.

How did you get your cam pin out?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you get your cam pin out?

I used a punch or tool to pry it out gently. It basically rubbed against the gas key, but the problem was the bolt and not the gas key. I suppose you could file down the gas key but after swapping out my bolt, it fit perfectly.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top