Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 3:07:27 PM EDT
I RR M4 will occasionally fail to eject the brass. It is really stuck and requires some aggressive pressure from a cleaning rod. I probably clean it every 400 to 500 rounds. Yes it sticks with Wolf but also M193 and q3131 and walmart white box. It does not happen that often, maybe every couple hundred rounds. I want to use it in a carbine class coming in May but I am leary of the gun.
My Armalite 16 A4 shoots and shoots the same ammo and refuses to mess up. I may take the eotech off of the RR and put it on the Armalite.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That's actually failure to extract.  Since the case is actually stuck in the chamber, I suspect it could be caused by either a rough or dirty chamber, or possibly a  chamber that is too small.  I would clean the chamber well, and check the headspace.

Also, does the brass show any signs of excessive pressure?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the correction. I did not think that looked right.  The brass looks fine. I will have the head space checked. If it is a little tight what will correct the problem? Thanks for your input
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Its possible that the chamber needs a good polishing...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If I have to ask how I probable should not be doing it? How is it done?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I have to ask how I probable should not be doing it? How is it done?

LOL, its easy and I bet you can do it...

Chuck up the end section of your cleaning rod in a drill... Attach a chamber brush, or better yet a copper bore brush for a .45... Put some oil on it, insert it into the chamber and then power up the drill...

Do a couple of GOOD polishings, dont be scared... Be sure to clean out the chamber between polishings...

Polish the full length of the chamber but try not to allow the brush to enter the bore... ETA: It is unnecessary to polish a chamber beyond the shoulder.

If you do happen to enter the bore though, it isn't really a big deal and shouldn't hurt anything because the most critical part of the bore is the few inches before the muzzle...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do not put the FS top slot at the 12:00 position.

The top slot is off indexed top dead center to prevent the Flash from whiting out your sight picture when fired (read low light conditions). The top slot indexed at either 11:00 or at 1:00 is the correct position.

Wrong...

Quoted:
Never, and I mean never, spin a brass or steel bristle bush in a chamber using a drill.  What is going to happen is that the bristles are going to groove the chamber, leaving the chamber in a worst condition that before.

In regards to allowing the rifle to self polish the chamber out on it's own, use brass case ammo with the upper beraing surfaces correctly lubed to allow the ammo (case) to polish threw live fire.

Wrong again...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top