Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:22:37 PM EDT
I have a Colt Sporter II with a 16" barrel, semi-auto. Suddenly the hammer appears to be going down too far when cycling which allows the hook on the disconnector to catch onto the hook on the back of the hammer. This locks the firing group up and I have to break open the rifle and use a screwdriver to push down on the back end of the disconnector while I push down on the cocked hammer to release it.  It appears that either the disconnecter is not going down far enough or I need to file the shelf on one of the hook areas to allow the hammer to clear the disconnecter.
Any ideas as to what is causing this or the best solution?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Not when it started happening. I have since changed both disconnector and hammer. When the bolt is pulled back, the hammer is hung up on the disconnector. I can duplicate this with the upper off - when I push the hammer back, I get 2 clicks intead of one - one at the bottom of the hammer where it is held to fire and then another as the upper hook of the disconnector "clicks" onto the hook on the back of the hammer. It would appear the best solution would be to file the disconnector hook by about 0.05 - 0.10 just enough to clear this connection. I have looked at my other AR and it does not do this and has more room between the disconnector hook and hammer hook.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Two clicks? I get one when the hammer sets correctly. The second comes when the hammer hook catches beneath the hook on the disconnector. Disconnector spring looks to be correct.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Gotcha - thanks Tweak.

If everything else appears to be normal with the new parts (and God forbid anything is wrong with by pre-ban Colt lower) then would you agree that the best solution is to file a bit off the disconnector hook to allow the hammer hook to pass by ? When I look at my assembly manual and my other AR, this appears to be the easiest solution and just chalk it up to the replacements being a bit oversized.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Tried the lube - no go - still a "hard" contact between hammer and disco.

Filed disco enough to see air between hammer and disco when hammer is cycled back. Now only catches on disco when trigger is pulled full to rear and held when hammer is pushed back.

Took it to the range and test fired. Functioned perfectly until I put on my can. Then it had one hiccup but I put that to a short stroke from the can.

Thanks for all your help, tweeak.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I am having the same problem with a new Bushmaster Superlight.  I got several malfunctions in which the disconnector locked onto the hammer and would not release.  It did get a little better with some lube but still did it.  Do you think it will work itself out over time or should I do something to it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  When feeling the part of the disconnector which contacts the hammer, it feels as though it has a really sharp edge.  I am thinking if this edge were dulled a little the problem would probably disappear.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Just curious--how many rounds fired with the original Colt parts when it started malfunctioning?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just curious--how many rounds fired with the original Colt parts when it started malfunctioning?

Uncertain. I bought it used 20 years ago and only shoot it occasionally. I MAY have put 1K through it since I've had it. Love the gun, just don't get as much opportunity to shoot it as I'd like. So, I can't tell, however, until this started happening, it shot like a dream.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top