Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 12:16:49 AM EDT
I've just run into a bad gas key on a RRA carrier.  The whole assembly is brand new but the key seems to be angled up a bit at the front and the hole is a VERY tight fit for the gas tube.  I've tried two other RRA bolt carriers in the upper and they fit fine.  Is this common?  Is fitting a new key the solution or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Pic?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]

is the tight fit due to the angle or the ID?

Seems to be mostly the ID but the angle makes it worse.  If I hold just the carrier and gas tube in my hands the tube is still difficult to insert and remove.  The angle is difficult to see, noticed it by measuring with a caliper.  From the bottom of the bolt to the top of the leading edge edge of the key the problem bolt measures 1.292" and the good bolt measures 1.269", that is a difference of 23thou which given the tight ID does not help the problem.  I can also see where the key is marking the underside of the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that I've fixed it... the tube is still snug but it seems acceptable now.  I bent the gaskey down to match the measurements of my good units useing a vise.  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top