Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2005 2:01:41 PM EDT
Took a new build to the range today for its first shoot. After the barrel got heated up there was a considerable amount of smoke coming from under the handgaurds which smelt pretty bad. After shooting I got a hack a headache and my stomach was in knots and a general overall feeling of unwelness. After 2 hours or so its subsided mostly. I've never had this happen with any of my other AR's (including new ones) Is this a new kind of packing grease that causes this or what? Anyone experiance anything similar

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
General rule, fully clean the rifle with CLP to remove any assembly grease, then give the rifle a light coat of CLP for rust protection before every firing the rifle.

Not knowing what the rifle was assembly greased with, nor it you where shooting into the wind with Wolf ammo, really haven't a clue of what you go a whiff of, but can say that if you do the time to clean the rifle correctly, it shouldn’t be a problem in the future.

To add, as least not with the grease, but the wolf ammo will still clean your sinus when shooting into the wind, since at best, that smell of bat piss with bring tears to the eyes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah I see. The upper was greased/oiled ALOT. Didnt know I needed to clean it off.

On the Wolf ammo. Is that the laquer or polymer coated that stinks to high heaven?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Well at 10 cents a shot it cant smell that bad eh?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, sounds like you're just burning off excess oil.  As a former infantry machine gunner I know that smell pretty well.  Smells kinda like you just overheated out a car engine.  Don't ask how I know how that smells.  But burning off the oil is no big deal.

SoS
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I must be sick as I actually like it when a little smoke comes from under the handguards. Just burning off the clp!!I've been told I use a little to much!!!h.gif
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I must be sick as I actually like it when a little smoke comes from under the handguards. Just burning off the clp!!I've been told I use a little to much!!!

You ain't having fun until there's smoke coming out from somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Poly wolf just smells wierd...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#9]
On my last range trip I had swapped handguards (bought them used) and didn't think to clean them...

After the first heat up at the range it almost looked like I was going to need a fire extinguisher ...  The people in the lane next to me looked a little concerned too...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top