Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 9:20:28 AM EDT

without having to pull the charging handle to get another shell to go in the chamber. A little background: I have the same Martin/ Marietta forged flat top upper, with a 16" barrel from J&T, now this upper worked fine on my Essential Arms preban lower, without a hitch, ever. I have since traded the lower to a member of the forum here who got transferred in the military to one of the commie states up north. No need in mentioning his name, he is a great guy, this is my problem not his. For awhile I had a 11.5/5.5" barrel on the Essential also, when I ran that combo I would have a problem with the cycling of the action, everyone said my buffer, which "was" a standard CAR buffer was too light for the short barrel, so.... when I changed lowers I also got rid of the shorty combo upper and kept the present upper that I have now. BUT.....I also rebuilt the buffer to be heavier. Right now it weighs 4.4oz or 123 grams. Shooting Remington UMC FMJ and Winchester 40 grain HP the thing will not reload a shell, now I just took the buffer back out and it was feeling a little ruff, not from cycling just rought period, so I buffed it to a polish.. I would like to know what all will keep a rifle from cycling the shell back in to the chamber, I have also gotten some used GI mags from another member, could these be the problem also, when the rifle fires it will eject the shell out with authority about 6 feet away and a little toward my right shoulder. What could my problem be. Also my mags wont drop free from the bushy lower, is this standard with the bushys, all I have had has been the Essential Arms lower for about 8 years and never a problem. Thanks for any help.
Randy

Ok after polishing the buffer it still wont load a round after firing. Also on one magazine I had a hard time loading the first round, the bolt rides over the top of the first round, when shooting the 40 grain winchester ammo, it wont eject the shell. Could it be a combo problem of too heavy a buffer and old mags. I really need some help with this one.  

I also posted this in the AR15 section, didnt realize we had a trouble shooting section-sorry, but I need all the help I can get
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Last year I had a client that had a Bushmaster with the same problem. I took off the FSB and used a set of pin gauges to check the size of the gas port. From the Bushmaster factory it was 0.050 inches. The minimum spec on a 20 inch barrel of this diameter and length is 0.086 inches IIRC. I opened up the gas port to 0.089 inches, reassembled the gun, and it now runs flawlessly. Check the gas port size would be my recommendation. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Last year I had a client that had a Bushmaster with the same problem. I took off the FSB and used a set of pin gauges to check the size of the gas port. From the Bushmaster factory it was 0.050 inches. The minimum spec on a 20 inch barrel of this diameter and length is 0.086 inches IIRC. I opened up the gas port to 0.089 inches, reassembled the gun, and it now runs flawlessly. Check the gas port size would be my recommendation. Charles the Gunsmith.  

Charles the barrel is a Wilson I think from J&T, I have had the barrel on another upper and it worked fine, till I 1.got these mags, and 2. added weight to the buffer, I have another thread going here to, if you can read thru it and see if there is anything else I can try. Heres the link-www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=251551

thanks for your help
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
got a different lower?

afraid not
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Time for the greatest hits,
Shotgun the rifle open and check the following.

Bolt will hand engage into and out of the barrel extension without binding (read bolt does not bind on the side of the lugs as it enter and exit.

Point the muzzle down 45*, pull the carrier all the way back against the charging handle and let go.  The carrier should free drop down and lock the bolt all by it's self.

Look down at the back of the disco behind the hook; if you see a white line or dent, you need to take .040 off the tail of the hammer (carrier/hammer/disco wedge binding).

Pull the buffer and check the recoils spring at the very end of the last wind (receiver side), and take a look inside of the receiver extension.  If you find a bur/high spot on the spring, or if the inside of the receiver extension has scrap marks, you need to correct the end of spring.

Spray CLP into the gas tube. The CLP should flow into the bore of the barrel.

Last item that comes to mind it to make sure that you have cleaned and lubed the weapon correctly using CLP (BreakfreeCLP) as the lube/cleaner. the bore will need to be cleaned with a copper solvent, but make sure that you have flushed out all the solvent with CLP after you have completed cleaning the barrel bore. Also, remember to apply a light Coat of CLP to ALL the bearing surfaces of the rifle/upper when you lube the rifle!!!!

Once you have done all this, you need to check the weapon for short stroking by loading a single round in the mag, charge and fire the weapon, and then confirm that the bolt has locked back on empty mag via the bolt hold open device.  If the bolt does not lock back, pull the buffer, take all the weights out of the buffer (read make sure to reinstall the bumper end) and do the short stroke test again. In regards to the test ammo for the short stroke test, use XM-193 ammo (read buy a box if needed for this testing).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Southernfried .. you still in JC if so e-mail me ... We can try one of my lowers .. I have several that run flawless      I am sure we can diagnose the problem and fix it
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Time for the greatest hits,
Shotgun the rifle open and check the following.

Bolt will hand engage into and out of the barrel extension without binding (read bolt does not bind on the side of the lugs as it enter and exit.

Point the muzzle down 45*, pull the carrier all the way back against the charging handle and let go.  The carrier should free drop down and lock the bolt all by it's self.

(It does)

Look down at the back of the disco behind the hook; if you see a white line or dent, you need to take .040 off the tail of the hammer (carrier/hammer/disco wedge binding).

(no dent)

Pull the buffer and check the recoils spring at the very end of the last wind (receiver side), and take a look inside of the receiver extension.  If you find a bur/high spot on the spring, or if the inside of the receiver extension has scrap marks, you need to correct the end of spring.

( a few scratches but nothing deep down the spring tube) receiver looks fine

Spray CLP into the gas tube. The CLP should flow into the bore of the barrel.

(it does)

Last item that comes to mind it to make sure that you have cleaned and lubed the weapon correctly using CLP (BreakfreeCLP) as the lube/cleaner. the bore will need to be cleaned with a copper solvent, but make sure that you have flushed out all the solvent with CLP after you have completed cleaning the barrel bore. Also, remember to apply a light Coat of CLP to ALL the bearing surfaces of the rifle/upper when you lube the rifle!!!!

(got to get more clp Im used up now.)

Once you have done all this, you need to check the weapon for short stroking by loading a single round in the mag, charge and fire the weapon, and then confirm that the bolt has locked back on empty mag via the bolt hold open device.  If the bolt does not lock back, pull the buffer, take all the weights out of the buffer (read make sure to reinstall the bumper end) and do the short stroke test again. In regards to the test ammo for the short stroke test, use XM-193 ammo (read buy a box if needed for this testing).

(this may take a day or two, Ive been told 4.4oz for a buffer is too heavy, so Im gonna try to lighten it)

Thanks for your help

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Southernfried .. you still in JC if so e-mail me ... We can try one of my lowers .. I have several that run flawless      I am sure we can diagnose the problem and fix it

LOL Im tired where is JC , Ive lived in Cottontown for 8 years now. You got the right fried?LOL
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL Im tired where is JC , Ive lived in Cottontown for 8 years now. You got the right fried?LOL

Used to be a member here that went by Southernfried that went to college in Johnson City .. guess your not him !
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Used to be a member here that went by Southernfried that went to college in Johnson City .. guess your not him !

LOL not me, I went to school at Cumberland University in Lebanon, got out in 89. So Im afraid Im not him, thanks for trying to help.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top