Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 5:19:12 PM EDT
So I picked this coyote tan stock up used from a guy on the ee.  After a couple of weeks I notice my A2 style stock is loose.  So I tighten the butt plate screw for the buffer tube and the screw pulls through the end plate.  Does anyone know where I can get a new butt end?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact Cav Arms.
They have a good guarantee on their lowers, and I have always found them to be very helpful anytime I have dealt with them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Just sent them a email.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just so you know, some stocks are A-1 length and some stocks are the A-2 length (5-8" longer).  Since I don't know what length your old unit is, I will put it this way.

With an a-2 length unit installed on the standard receiver extension, the install requires the 5/8" end spacer to be installed on the end of the receiver extension.  This standard A-2 spacer receiver extension put metal between the plastic butt plate and the extension.  Without the spacer installed for an A-2 length stock, there will be a void between the butt plate and extension thread socket, and if the butt stock screw is tightened too tight, it just allows the screw to be pulled threw (the butt stock plate plastic is not sistered between the two metals).

Now having said that, and you can get cav to exchange the unit for free, do make sure of the length of the stock, and if needed, make sure to install receiver extension spacer.  My guess is that the spacer is still in the old butt stock so you may want to straighten out a coat hanger and push the spacer out for the new replacement stock if needed.

Part number 8,

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Treetop,
That's what I thought, but when he called it a A-2, it threw me off and  I didn't know if they were offering longer A-2 length stocks now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Switch to a real trap door butt plate.  Just bear in mind you may have to crack the dremel out and shave just a little off the end of the buffer tube's threaded extension.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just so you know, some stocks are A-1 length and some stocks are the A-2 length (5-8" longer).  Since I don't know what length your old unit is, I will put it this way.

With an a-2 length unit installed on the standard receiver extension, the install requires the 5/8" end spacer to be installed on the end of the receiver extension.  This standard A-2 spacer receiver extension put metal between the plastic butt plate and the extension.  Without the spacer installed for an A-2 length stock, there will be a void between the butt plate and extension thread socket, and if the butt stock screw is tightened too tight, it just allows the screw to be pulled threw (the butt stock plate plastic is not sistered between the two metals).

Now having said that, and you can get cav to exchange the unit for free, do make sure of the length of the stock, and if needed, make sure to install receiver extension spacer.  My guess is that the spacer is still in the old butt stock so you may want to straighten out a coat hanger and push the spacer out for the new replacement stock if needed.

Part number 8,
www.ar15.com/content/guides/parts/lower.gif

Dano thanks I did mis-type when I put A2 Cav arms are all A1 length
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top