Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 12:34:46 PM EDT
This just happen last week, after firing about 5K rounds:

Notice the crack in the bolt cam pin area circle in green.

Wondering how often does this happen to the other people. I have order another 3 CMT MPI tested bolt for possible future replacement need. The original bolt is from Bushmaster, kind of sad that a BM bolt that does not last long.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a normal problem,
The way that you wear out a bolt is that the lugs threw contact with the barrel extension eventually will wear out and allow the Headspace to increase longer than allowed (read dam near 100,000 rounds unless the rifle is kept in an adverse state).

Get bushy on the phone and have them replace their defective bolt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It's never happened to me, but again I don't own any bushmaster bolts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Same thing happened to me, I always inspect the bolt after shooting now.  Ditto on getting BM on the phone, you might a new one, can't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
No might to it, the bolt was heat treated wrong and is defective from the start.  If they don't replace the bolts with no questions asked, it will be the end of them real quick.

Trust me, even less than stellar suppliers wouldn't dare to refuse to replace such a defective item in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, the problem is as you know, BM does not have any stamping on the bolt that specifically said it's BM, unlike Colt have CMP on their bolt. I will give BM a call to see if they are willing to straight this out without extra proof (the bolt was purchase from local shop back in Y2K). I guess I will start to save purchase receipt as long as it's firearm related, just in case.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top