Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:00:30 PM EDT
Okay, I know this has been covered before but I can't find it.

About to buy the cheapest pivot pin tool and carbine stock wrench from Brownells.  

Stock assembly is the Colt 2-pos, used, from CMMG. It has the timing lip for the buffer retainer (I have the TM and read up a little). I can see that the stock was staked before removal from the original firearm (probably Colt 723?)

My plan was, having lined up the "lip" and stock assembly by eye, tighten the lock ring with wrench until the stake marks match where they "were" originally, and..do it again.

Sounds good? What am I missing?

What sort of tool to do this with?  A punch?  The idea is to displace a small amount of metal so it can't rotate, right?

I'd rather research and do it right...

I really like the 2-pos stock tube. Someone saw the carbine and called it a KISS carbine, which is about right.  I'd considered adding a C7 upper, but this one has the famed M4 ramps, and it's just purty. But I digress.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no guarantee that the staked parts will line up on your new receiver.

I don't bother to stake; instead, I assemble the stock, apply BLUE loctite sparingly to the buffer tube threads, screw it into the lower receiver (check the stock is straight and retains the buffer retainer correctly) and let it cure for a minimum of 1 hour. I then apply more loctite (again, sparingly) where the castle nut will go, and  tighten down on the castle nut firmly. Job done.

If you ever need to remove the stock, a heat gun will work. Its best to get it right first time if you can, of course.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on the Blue loctite!!!!!!!

Just remember to de-grease the parts to allow it to bond to the surfaces.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top