Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 6:16:02 PM EDT
I took out my AR today and I ran into some problems. I fired a full magazine of Winchester Q131A ammo and it ran like a champ. I grabbed a second mag and it wouldn't eject the spent brass. I had to manually eject each spent shell. I tried another mag, but this time with a mag of polymer Wolf.

note: If I didn't pull the charging handle back and eject the spent shell, I could still pull the trigger and and the hammer would fall.

All magazines were brand new magazines. I tried it again with another magazine and had the same problem.

Any ideas of what the hell happened? It worked great when it was cold but ran one mag through warm and it failed to eject each spent shell.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Just guessing here, I think you are short stroking....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, this happend on both my rifles? I took 4 of my AR's out today and 2 functioned flawlessly and the other two just stumbled.

What should I do about short stroking?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It's Karma!!!!
The first weekend that I have had off since I've been in Vegas and you didn't offer to take me out shooting.  Hell, your lucky the gods allowed you to at least have one full mag to run correctly.

As for the problem, you need to check the gas system out.  Maybe as simple as one of the key screws coming loose, to the gas system becoming plugged.

Also, is this the first time that you have tried to run wolf in the rifle?  On newer chambers that have yet to break in, you may have to break the upper in with brass case ammo before the poly coated ammo will run.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
OK..now I remember something. One rifle must have short-stroking because it was dropping the hammer but not picking up the round. It did eject the round but I had to manually charge the round in each time I fired the rifle.

The other rifle would not eject the round. I would pull the trigger, the round would fire and the spent shell would remain in the chamber. I had to pull the charging handle back to remove the spent shell.

As my boy was cleaning my rifles, the whole sad affair starting coming back to me

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Carrier keys are tight and staked on both carriers?

thanks,
Ron
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top