Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:00:25 AM EDT
I took 3 of my AR15's to the range today - two of them were new (one RRA and one DPMS) and one of my old reliable ones (DPMS).  I use Adventureline and Okay 30rd mags with green followers.  Now, these were well-used mags, but worked fine for me in the past.  I've had them loaded to full capacity for 2 months without use.  After I'd fire a round the bolt would scrape the top of the next round in the mag, but not chamber it.  It did this in all 3 AR's with all the mags I tried.  Is this an indication of weak mag springs, or something else?  Can I just stretch them out, or do I need to buy new ones?  If so, where's a good place to get mag refurb kits, or magazine springs?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Your mag springs have gone south.  Since the springs have already taken a set point, streaching them will only solve the problem for a couple of loads.  If you planing on keeping the mags loaded, may as well buy Wolf extra power springs for the replacements.

Check the EE for sales, or you can buy direct from Wolf springs at retail.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
For future reference, you can load 29 rounds in a mag and there should be no problems.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I run 27 rounds for 100% complete reliability.
Some might say that's overkill or an AR isn't right if it won't "always" strip a topped off mags, each to thier own.

mark

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top