Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2003 3:38:34 PM EDT
A friend, despite my directions to watch the Bushmaster video I loaned him, punched the roll pin into the front of the trigger guard  on his Ar lower instead of the rear. Now I need some ideas on how to get it out. He says there is only about 1/16" sticking out, not enough to get a good grip on even with needle nose pliers. It is a forged lower. Suggestions please. (I haven't seen it yet) Thanks,Bob.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Drill through it with 1/16th drill bit, or try and push it back in or all the way out, whichever way it will go.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The holes are quite nearly the same size, the rear one is ~0.002" larger. No reason he shouldn't be able to drive the roll pin back out just like he drove it in.

Make sure to support the offside of the lower before driving the pin back out. You'll prolly have to get creative with a wooden block to, mebbe even cut the block to fit. You'll want it to touch the front flange on the offside of the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The holes are quite nearly the same size, the rear one is ~0.002" larger. No reason he shouldn't be able to drive the roll pin back out just like he drove it in.

Make sure to support the offside of the lower before driving the pin back out. You'll prolly have to get creative with a wooden block to, mebbe even cut the block to fit. You'll want it to touch the front flange on the offside of the trigger guard.
View Quote

Chances are he can get to to it due to the guard and the blind hole, I suggest drill.
Robert
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Sh*t, somehow forgot that the front hole is blind. I shouldn't post after staying up all night.

OK, I would use a cut off wheel on a Dremel and sacrifice the trigger guard. This in order to ensure there was no damage, cosmetic or otherwise, to the lower.

[gramah]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Tweak, my fault, I should have been more specific in my post. But I think you are right about the dremel. Thanks All.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Blazer,

You were specific, you said front hole, I read front hole. My sleep deprived memory forgot to remind me that the front pin hole is blind as it's for the winter trigger. My fault entirely.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell your buddy to put down the hammer and back away from the workbench slowly.......
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]

CAREFULLY drilling it out with a lot of care and a drill press might work.

But first I'd try Kroil and the smallest EZ-OUT I could find. This is something auto shops use to remove broken bolts and studs, etc. I've never seen one that small, but they may exist.

Failing that, this might be something to spend a few bucks on and ask a gunsmith to fix, if they will accept the job.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Listen to Tweak.  Trigger Guards are cheap.  It will be cheaper to sacrifice the trigger guard than to hire a gunsmith, a lot cheaper.

Perserve the lower and sacrifice the trigger guard.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top