Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 8:04:44 PM EDT
unless i slightly bang the butt of rifle against the floor while pushing down on charging handle. it's a bushmaster with an 11 1/2 in. bbl. with a 5 in. flash hider. aluminum gov't issue mags and wolf 55 grain ammo.
i clean the rifle pretty well i think. i separate the upper from the lower, clean the bore, clean the lugs at the chamber with a toothbrush dipped in hoppe's no.9, pull the bolt and charging handle out of the upper and toothbrush it also, especially the bolt face and lugs, then put it all back together.
action works fine unloaded.  any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you try another brand of ammo?

You might also check the headspacing.  Check to make sure the bolt will close on a "GO" gauge.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would try some quality ammo instead of that Wolf shit.

Get something good with an unlaquered brass case like Black Hills etc.
My gun will shoot Wolf, but does not like it. I only shoot that stuff in my SKS.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
that's an idea. i'll try something with a brass case, probably winchester white box. i just try to be economical with the wolf, that's all. 30 round mags can burn a LOT of ammo. not like a handgun that you can fill up with few expensive hydra-shocks and leave it that way for months at time. lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Try AR-Wrench's suggestion and check headspace.  Sounds like your chamber may be a little "short" with the Wolf ammo.  Also make sure that the ejector can be manually pushed all the way flush with the face of the bolt.  Use a slotted screwdriver or some other blunt device to push in on it to check freedom of movement and full travel.  If it hangs up before going fully flush with the bolt face, it can cause a "sticky" bolt when chambering a round or during extraction.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
As stated, it sounds like a headspace/chamber fouling problem.

Definetely ditch the wolf, cleatus!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]
BluHawk,

You did not say anything about cleaning the chamber... You do have to get a chamber brush into the chamber every now and then, or it will build up powder ash, and with Wolf steel cased ammo, case lacquer too. Steel cased ammo (Wolf) is lacquered to keep it from corroding, and it can leave lacquer behind. If you use Wolf, you should clean the chamber with lacquer thinner or MEK every time that you clean the barrel. Then dry the chamber with a clean patch and check how your ammo does in it.

After that, suspect headspace on the small side. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
this is sounding more and more like a headspace problem. i checked the ejector and it can be pushed flush with bolt face, and the gun should be clean enough. as for the wolf ammo, it's always worked in other guns in the past, so, it's probably the headspace.
also, you should know this is not the original upper for this gun, it used to have a 20in HBAR bbl. until recently and it always worked flawlessly. i traded because i wanted less weight and fast handling. now it sounds like i got an upper that's just not mating well with my lower. hmmm, do i need to see a gunsmith? starting to sound like it.  thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone always tells you to check headspace on this site. But...headspace is factory set when the extension is installed. What are the odds of it coming out of any respectable factory with bad headspace? Slim to none. And headspace is not something you can adjust on your own anyway like on a bolt action.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Grant that working headspace is set when the barrel extension is set on the barrel, what changes is the bolt used in the rifle. Depending on how well the bolt is kept/made to mil-spec will determine how well the chamber headspaces.

What is preached is to check the headspace with the bolt that is being used in the rifle.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
dogcatcher223,

I know for a fact that at least one company sends out barrels with short HS.

If other parts can be made incorrectly then so can barrels/extensions/chambers.

Checking the HS is ALWAYS part of assembling a new firearm.  

HS is easily adjustable on un chromed barrels. Chromed barrels are adjusted by try fitting different bolts.                
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top