Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 4:23:44 PM EDT

Original post.
Anyway, I have a pre-ban Bushmaster with 16" barrel. 2 months ago it worked fine. I brought it out today to put an ACOG on it and sight it in. I pull the trigger and first shot fires, ejects, loads second round. Go to pull trigger again and it feels like it does when the bolt is locked back. I pulled back on the charging handle and the second round ejected and the 3rd round loaded fine. 3rd round fired fine. Then the same process again and again. What is wrong with my rifle?  happens on my Colt 20 and 3 Thermold 30s

Update:  Put a new disconnector and spring in.  Now after loading, put selector on fire, pull trigger, gun fires, ejects, chambers fresh round, frozen trigger, flick safety to safe than to fire (something clicks when i do this),  now i pull trigger, gun fires, everything fine, repeat process.
THANKS

-DEERSNIPER

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
DS,

Send it back, I hear BFI has really good customer service.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the trigger spring.  The spring front loop goes under the trigger(just behind the front sear), the coils around the trigger posts, and the spring feet down against the receiver bottom cavatiy.  If the legs are pressing up, you have the trigger spring  installed wrong.

Also, on the disconnector spring (small coil in the trigger back groove), the large coil side goes into the slot.  This will retain the spring when the disconnector is removed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
DS,

Do you have more than one AR? If so, take the lower off the non troublesome one and compare the innards to the malfing one.

If not, work the action of the malfing one by hand with the upper of and see what is going on in the lower.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Spring on part #29.  Part 23 and 28 are on M-16's only.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/parts/lower.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a possible weird reason for the problem.  I had a similar problem, only it would shoot 5 and freeze, three and freeze.  Unpredictable.  Finally figured it out.  I had a blown primer and the primer ended up in the trigger assembly and would wobble back and forth sometimes freezing the trigger.

Probably not the same problem.  Just an idea.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea, I had a loose spent primer rolling around in the trigger once, and it gave me fits trying to figure why the rifle would function perfectly for a few rounds, and then just lock-up. Once I saw the primer in the lower receiver, had no more problems. Damn reloads!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Does any one think the problem will be corrected if i put all all new fire-control parts in?  I think that will be cheaper than sending it to a gunsmith.

-DEERSNIPER
[SNIPER]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The gun wouldn't work a week ago.  Today i was going to trouble-shoot it by opening it up after firing a round.  The gun was sitting in the sun for 20 min. so, it was a little warm.  I fired one round, then tried another for the heck of it.  IT WORKED.  I emptied the rest of the 30rd thermold in double taps.  THANKS FOR THE HELP.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The gun wouldn't work a week ago.  Today i was going to trouble-shoot it by opening it up after firing a round.  The gun was sitting in the sun for 20 min. so, it was a little warm.  I fired one round, then tried another for the heck of it.  IT WORKED.  I emptied the rest of the 30rd thermold in double taps.  THANKS FOR THE HELP.
View Quote

So,.. you have to "Choke" your rifle prior to starting it up? Not really a fix, IMHO...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know.  I'm going to shoot it tommorrow morning at 6:30 and we will see whether or not it needs to be choked.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Took it out of an A/C house and within 3 minutes was at a safe backstop.  Gun works great.  I hope it continues to.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top