Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 3:54:33 PM EDT
took my new toy to the range today.  i could rarely get 2-3 shots off without a failure to feed.  the bolt would stick about halfway up the round without it having been lifted from the mag (riding overtop the bullet, pinching it in and holding the bolt open).  the barrel is a BM superlight, on an A3 upper, old used bolt and carrier i pieced together, just assembled yesterday by a friend who is an armorer.  
basically, i'm just wondering if it could be anything but the mags.  problem is, i was stupid enough to only bring two mags, neither of which i had tested in another AR yet (DOH!), so i can't pinpoint the problem, however i'm sure its mag related, yes?
thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Provided the empty case is being extracted and ejected correctly...

and the bolt locks open on the last round everytime...

It sounds like the next round is poping out of the mag too early.  Use USGI mags.

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
both were USGI mags...like i said i hadn't used them previously so i can't say for sure that they would work in another gun either.  wish i had had the foresight to bring some tried and true mags along...probably won't have another chance to test it for a week or so which is why i was fishing for opinions here.
thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
So if I read this right, the bolt is riding over the top most round in the mag without picking it up to feed it...right?

Sounds like either the rounds or the follower is hanging up in the mag or the springs are very weak....
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Check for short stroke as OG "provided", if I'm reading your post correct that is what is happening.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top