Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 9:28:15 AM EDT
After a day at the range, I was cleaning the bolt and noticed the retaining pin is bent. It looks like the firing pin has been hitting it and its bowed towards the back of the carrier.
Has anyone seen this before and what would make this happen?
The bolt/carrier came with a J&T kit, and only approx. 400 rounds fired total.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Same thing happened with my pin.  Also a J&T kit, hm...... Pin is VERY tight.  Have to use pliers when removing and screwdriver and hammer to reinsert.  And to top it off couldn't find replacement pin in my area.  J&T did sent a replacement pin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=162901
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't check the ref'd thread so this may all be a re run.

Most common cause of this being the hammer catching the front spool on the firing pin during the battery stroke.

Given that the bottom of the carrier is cut away exposing the rear quarter of the firing pin.

Could be an M16 (large front spool) firing pin instead of the correct AR15 (smaller spool) firing pin.

Could be a hooked hammer
Marked AR-15 (STD) and Sporter here
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/hammers/
catching the firing pin.

Could be a trigger with a short sear face to trigger pin dim allowing the hammer to sit up too high.

Unload the rifle and cycle the bolt by hand slowly can you feel the carrier drag, possibly stop, when it moves over the hammer? Does that drag go away when you hold the trigger to the rear?

If so, best fix is a shrouded (closed bottom) bolt carrier.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top