Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2003 5:44:19 PM EDT
I shot wolf through my eagle 20", and had many FTFs.  Does this happen often?  Also, is it terrible to shoot this crap through an AR?  I don't want to screw it up because I hear that the red laquer that they are covered in can screw up your rifle, and I have heard that it is corrosive.  When the FTF happened, I yanked the bejesus out of my charging handle to eject the round...is this the right way, or am I harming the rifle?  I will also post this in the ammo discussion.  Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The ammo forum is the best place to get information on Wolf.  
Some people have had problems in the past.  There is a survey in the other forum and the last time I checked 83% of users reported no problems with Wolf.  I have a Bushmaster and it will fire absolutely any ammo I put through it.  The key with AR's is to find what works and stick with it.

Sarge
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When the FTF happened, I yanked the bejesus out of my charging handle to eject the round...is this the right way, or am I harming the rifle?
View Quote

Are you sure it's .223 and NOT 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#3]
FYI: Wolf ammo is loaded to 223 specs.

The fact that some barrel makers will leave the chambers on the tight side to make the barrels a little more accurate (less pressure loss past the case on case blow out during ignition) leads to the barrels being more finicky on ammo selection.

To give you the idea, take a Colt CMP chromed lined barrel off a M-16.  The barrel chamber is reamed 5.56 Nato with the chamber side ways being reamed to accept/function with any 5.56/223 round.  In regards to a service rifle, reliability is the priority, which leads to the Colt barrels averaging around 1-1/2 to 2” groups with ball ammo (chrome lined and a looser chamber sideway area). On some barrels like the Armalite, the tight chamber (sidewalls and throat) will shrink the group size down by a ½”, but at the cost of ammo selection.

In regards to the Wolf ammo, when the round is feed out of the mag and into the chamber, a bit of lacquer is scraped off by the front of the mag and the feed ramps. This powderized lacquer fouling will build up and cause a slight binding of the case to chamber side ways (think graphite coated ammo, not the lacquer heating up and melting). Also, on some rounds that have a bullet sealer added, this fouling can cause some problem too.

Now for the solution on a non-chromed lined barrel, simple polish out the chamber.  This will take out any reamer tool marks (less surface friction that can cause binding), and in the process, it will loosen up the chamber sidewalls to allow a wider range of ammo to be used. Remember that you are only polishing the chamber surfaces, not trying to re-contour the chamber dimensions, which leaves the head space/throat the same.

If needed, do a search on chamber polishing if your looking to use surplus ammo or wolf ammo, or just find a round/ammo that function in the Armalite barrel as it comes from the factory.

Side Note: Most match shooter will polish the chamber but leave the throat on the tight side.  This insures that the rifle will function once your slung up (clearing a jam will break your concentration) and the short throat will allow the ammo to be loaded to work with the rifle/barrel, and still be able to fit into the mag (a long throat will lead to the bullet needing to seated longer out of the case to just kiss the rifling, and if too long, the ammo will not fit into the mag). The compromise is a barrel that will still tack drive (non bench rest standards, free hand shooting), and will not jam.  What little pressure that is lost on case blow out (accuracy) is well worth the price to keep the rifle running without a case binding and taken them out of the match due to loss of concentration on the target, and worrying if the rifle is going to jam again.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Wolf brand .223 works OK in my SP 1 and the 7.62 Wolf works fine in my "Sporter" but the .223 Wolf jams my Carbon-15 M. 97 after about 20 rounds. The brass sticks like it is glued into the chamber. The Carbon-15 is  known to be ammo sensitive but I don't think it's fair to blame the gun for what I expect is  varnish and concomitant heat build up. In a Colt clone with a normal 'loose'  in-spec. chamber and correct head space Wolf brand .223 should work. Check the specs. And/or carry an extra carrier group in case of a broken extractor. Mikke
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top