Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 10:10:07 AM EDT
Can someone tell me what they use to adjust there front sight.  I know you can buy a front sight adjustment tool, but I know I would only use it one and I don't want to spend the money.  There must be a easy way to turn the post with out damaging it.?  Thanks    
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that you can use the tip of one of the 5.56 rounds to adjust the front sight.  I believe I saw that a long time ago in one of the Army field manuals.  It showed an illustration of a soldier using a round to adjust the rear sights on the M16A1, and I believe the front sight as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Worked fine for me using an unfired round.. I suppose if I was working the front sight up and down twice a day it would be a different story, but anything that'll get in there and depress that little pin without scratching hell out of your finish is "the right tool" I'd say.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I used tweezers.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I took a spent round, ran a piece of electrical tape over the case mouth, cut x wise slits in the tape over the hole and pushed the tags inside the case. Works like a charm, and no scratches on the sight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea using a round is slow but it works.  I will try some other things too. Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
A small finish nail will work better than an unfired round.  It fits down in there to depress the detent better and you're not messing up a good bullet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
To spin the sight post after the detent pin has been depressed, push the eraser end of a pencil straight down onto the post so that the post tip sticks into the eraser. Then spin it with the pencil. This is especially good for large changes.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top