Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2023 4:53:18 AM EDT
The title pretty-much says it all. I need to know what type of Loctite to use on which threads, please. For everything except assembling an upper.

I'm pretty sure I want to use the blue stuff on M-lok accessories, for example. Beyond that, I don't have a clue.

Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Red locktite is only for the front two base screws on .375H&H and heavier calibers. Let tocktite harden 24-48 hrs.

You have to use heat to remove red so don’t use it unless you have blue fail.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red locktite is only for the front two base screws on .375H&H and heavier calibers. Let tocktite harden 24-48 hrs.

You have to use heat to remove red so don’t use it unless you have blue fail.
View Quote

Very cool. Got it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a loctite made just for Airlines and plumbing and such.
Loctite 545 - This is the one I think I really want.
Loctite 567

Looked everywhere local for them, any ideas? I tried google, but everywhere that has them is like 38-68.00 a small bottle.  
Seems like it'd be maybe 12-15, even 20 bucks...  

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The title pretty-much says it all. I need to know what type of Loctite to use on which threads, please. For everything except assembling an upper.

I'm pretty sure I want to use the blue stuff on M-lok accessories, for example. Beyond that, I don't have a clue.

Thanks for the help!

View Quote

This is overthought often on this site.

I've always used blue loctite and I've never had it fail.  

I use it on: barrel extension for better receiver fit, on the gas block journal, attachment screws, scope mount screws (all).

some will say that blue loctite burns off at too low a temp.  The truth is if you get your barrel up to 360 degrees Fahrenheit, you're killing it anyway and likely more interested in mag dumps.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Specifically, you want blue Loctite 243 on most of your screw on accessories. Red Loctite is more permanent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly I prefer Vibratite. It works better and is easier to remove.

I don't even use loctite anymore. Vibratite and Rocksett where needed.

I know Magpul does something similar last time I looked at their accessories. They use a yellow compound very similar to Vibratite.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I use blue loctite for shit I will take off. Optic Screws, Sights, Mlok accesssories, tritium Glock sights. Stuff you can't really heat up.
I use orange permatex instead of red loctite now. It's basically red loctite in regards to temp rating but comes off easier with tools. I use it on gas block screws, rails that bolt into actions, or anything that might heat up. It's seriously good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is overthought often on this site.

I've always used blue loctite and I've never had it fail.  

I use it on: barrel extension for better receiver fit, on the gas block journal, attachment screws, scope mount screws (all).

some will say that blue loctite burns off at too low a temp.  The truth is if you get your barrel up to 360 degrees Fahrenheit, you're killing it anyway and likely more interested in mag dumps.
View Quote

I would argue that in my case, it's ignorance and not over-thinking. Until a week ago I never owned and AR and had never used loctite on any firearm. I now have four of them and I'm assembling a fifth. Looking at all the hardware that comes with thread locker already on the threads, it's clear to me that thread lockers are more important on an AR than any other firearm I've ever owned. So I asked before I made a newbie mistake.

Not that I'm not entirely, 100% capable of over-thinking stuff but in this case I feel like I'm just being prudent and self-aware of my own ignorance.

Mag dump? Is that pulling the trigger as fast as possible until the mag is empty? If so, that's definitely not my style. I like to hit my target.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Specifically, you want blue Loctite 243 on most of your screw on accessories. Red Loctite is more permanent.
View Quote

Thanks. Good to know. I use 242 on my cars and I would have grabbed that without knowing better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Honestly I prefer Vibratite. It works better and is easier to remove.

I don't even use loctite anymore. Vibratite and Rocksett where needed.

I know Magpul does something similar last time I looked at their accessories. They use a yellow compound very similar to Vibratite.
View Quote

That yellow stuff is what got me thinking about this as I was installing Magpul accessories.

I'll check out Vibratite.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use blue loctite for shit I will take off. Optic Screws, Sights, Mlok accesssories, tritium Glock sights. Stuff you can't really heat up.
I use orange permatex instead of red loctite now. It's basically red loctite in regards to temp rating but comes off easier with tools. I use it on gas block screws, rails that bolt into actions, or anything that might heat up. It's seriously good stuff.
View Quote

Great information, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#12]
If I use Loctite, I use the blue and call it good.  Mostly on small screws on scope mounts and such, but there is no need to put it on every fastener.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I use Loctite, I use the blue and call it good.  Mostly on small screws on scope mounts and such, but there is no need to put it on every fastener.
View Quote

A torque driver goes a long way too
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A torque driver goes a long way too
View Quote

This

Blue + Torque driver = Tight as it needs to be, GTG for 99% of application
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I use low strength purple on my optics, mounts, and BUIS.  I think it’s 222.  640? green retainer compound for shimming and bedding barrel extensions.  Some of the KAC hand guards call for high strength red,  other than that all my barrel nut threads get molykote paste.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, that's badass!  You got in under the wire with the shitty law, 4 ARs!  Glad to hear it, my friend.  FUCK Jay Inslee and Turd Ferguson.  

Me, I use red loctite for muzzle devices (because I don't change them willy-nilly, and like to put them on with minimal torque), gas block set screws, and for bedding the barrel extension inside the upper receiver.

I also stake over the GB set screws w/ a center punch.

For everything else, just basic blue 242.  All screws such as sights, optic mounts, any thing going on pic rails or MLOK slots, grip screw, etc.

I do not use it on the castle nut, I just torque it down and stake as per the TM.

This has served me well over the years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP, that's badass!  You got in under the wire with the shitty law, 4 ARs!  Glad to hear it, my friend.  FUCK Jay Inslee and Turd Ferguson.  

Me, I use red loctite for muzzle devices (because I don't change them willy-nilly, and like to put them on with minimal torque), gas block set screws, and for bedding the barrel extension inside the upper receiver.

I also stake over the GB set screws w/ a center punch.

For everything else, just basic blue 242.  All screws such as sights, optic mounts, any thing going on pic rails or MLOK slots, grip screw, etc.

I do not use it on the castle nut, I just torque it down and stake as per the TM.

This has served me well over the years.
View Quote

Thanks! I'm pretty happy. I wasn't able to get the two .22 LR uppers from BCA in time but they were, by far, the least important. I have my fingers crossed for a temporary injunction/stay that will last long enough for me to get those but if not, I'm still happy to have two ARs in 5.56 with 16" barrels, a 20" Grendel with a fluted barrel, and a 10.5" stockless pistol. From nothing to ten days with the ban impending ... I'll take it. Fuck Inslee. Fuck Ferguson.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Vibratite is what you seek.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks! I'm pretty happy. I wasn't able to get the two .22 LR uppers from BCA in time but they were, by far, the least important. I have my fingers crossed for a temporary injunction/stay that will last long enough for me to get those but if not, I'm still happy to have two ARs in 5.56 with 16" barrels, a 20" Grendel with a fluted barrel, and a 10.5" stockless pistol. From nothing to ten days with the ban impending ... I'll take it. Fuck Inslee. Fuck Ferguson.
View Quote

If no injunction you can always have a 22LR conversion kit shipped to someone in a free state for you to pick up on a visit.  Or, ship it to me and I will just mail it to you.  Friends help friends in commie states.  Same goes for barrels, upper receivers and any other non-serialized part that doesn't require FFL
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If no injunction you can always have a 22LR conversion kit shipped to someone in a free state for you to pick up on a visit.  Or, ship it to me and I will just mail it to you.  Friends help friends in commie states.  Same goes for barrels, upper receivers and any other non-serialized part that doesn't require FFL
View Quote

That rocks. You rock. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck Inslee. Fuck Ferguson.
View Quote

Just needed to be repeated.

I don't have a list of people I despise, but if I did, those two would be very close to the top.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking commies.

If you ever need some second parts let me know as well
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:15:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just needed to be repeated.

I don't have a list of people I despise, but if I did, those two would be very close to the top.
View Quote

Well-said.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:16:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fucking commies.

If you ever need some second parts let me know as well
View Quote

Thanks! You rock too!
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#25]
246. High heat, medium strength. Works for everything including gas blocks, unless you like to do repeated mag dumps.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#26]
10/32 and smaller machine screws I started using the low strength purple on after having removal difficulties with the blue mid strength. Problem for me was especially anything with a hex/allen head screw. The vibra tite stuff seems okay so far I guess but I have not used it long enough to comment one way or the other.
The where is limited to only where it had to be used because I had a problem or the manufacturer states to use it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Pink/purple on aluminum threads with steel screws.  Such as optics and grip screws on AR’s.  I also use pink on Aero M4E1 threaded bolt catch screws.

Most don’t know it exist, great stuff.  Resist temperature well & won’t strip threads.

Blue on steel & steel where heat or excessive force isn’t an issue.

In lieu of red I use hot-lock, love it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Vibratite VC3 on everything with a thread except two parts.  Witness mark it with a sharpie oil pen.  Rockset on the gas block set screws and muzzle device.

All you need to know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Vibratite VC3 on everything with a thread except two parts.  Witness mark it with a sharpie oil pen.  Rockset on the gas block set screws and muzzle device.

All you need to know.
View Quote

mil spec manual calls for 242 or 243 (basically the same shit) blue medium strength on gas block set screws. why do you need to rockset? have you encountered issues with them coming loose?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for the help!

View Quote

Loctite Product Advisor

Your welcome.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

mil spec manual calls for 242 or 243 (basically the same shit) blue medium strength on gas block set screws. why do you need to rockset? have you encountered issues with them coming loose?
View Quote

Mine never come loose because I install them using best practice and modern adhesive.  I have seen a boat load of gas blocks and a few muzzle devices come loose because they were incorrectly installed.  It is after the can blows off the gun when we discover the muzzle device was not installed correctly.  

You can use 242 if you want.  Some people do.  You might get away with it on a gas block.  You might even get away with it on a muzzle device.  But understand this; if and when they fail, they will do so unexpectedly, after you have super heated your gun, and when you need the gun the most.

Best practice for hard use is pinning the block.

If you decide not to pin, then you have to decide on adhesive.  If you use rockset, then you can use the low end of torque, 15 inch lbs on your (always) knurled set screw.  Your screw will not back out.

If you use 242, you probably want to go to 25 lbs for best results.  

Rockset is designed for very high temp.  242 is not.  You loose half your strength with 242 at temps over about 400F.  There is a reason heat is recommended for removing fasteners held by 242.  When it is hot, 242 gets weak.  A gas block and muzzle gets hot.  Rockset does not get weak when it gets hot.  

Some think using heat on a fastener held by rockset will help loosen it.  It won't.

Get a IR laser pointer temp gage.  Run 3 30 rd mags at one round/second and see what temp you block reaches.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#32]
The firing schedule the military requires, 242 holds up fine, as per their standards.

Really though, proper torque, it’s not coming loose. An A2 style FSB, there’s a reason they pin it, because it can be hit. A low pro under a rail…not so much.

Regarding firing it a loosening, nah. Not with proper torque, especially with serrated screw and a dimpled barrel. The metal will heat up together. Expand together. Thermodynamics. Pair that with carbon, it’s not going anywhere…as long as proper install practices are used, with or without loctite.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The firing schedule the military requires, 242 holds up fine, as per their standards.

Really though, proper torque, it’s not coming loose. An A2 style FSB, there’s a reason they pin it, because it can be hit. A low pro under a rail…not so much.

Regarding firing it a loosening, nah. Not with proper torque, especially with serrated screw and a dimpled barrel. The metal will heat up together. Expand together. Thermodynamics. Pair that with carbon, it’s not going anywhere…as long as proper install practices are used, with or without loctite.
View Quote

You do you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks. Good to know. I use 242 on my cars and I would have grabbed that without knowing better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

243 is what you're supposed to use on threads <1/4". Use a soldering iron on the screws with 242 and it turns into anti seize. I usually just grab the stick of 242 out of my toolbox and keep a soldering iron handy, makes life easy.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top