Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2018 4:02:12 PM EDT
Hi, I am new to AR-15 family, could anybody advise me? I would like to replace commercial stock tube to mil-spec. Mil-spec is shorter so which buffer spring is recommended? I tried to use original commercial buffer spring in mil-spec tube but didnt work 100%.

thank you
Jan
Czech republic
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi, I am new to AR-15 family, could anybody advise me? I would like to replace commercial stock tube to mil-spec. Mil-spec is shorter so which buffer spring is recommended? I tried to use original commercial buffer spring in mil-spec tube but didnt work 100%.

thank you
Jan
Czech republic
View Quote
shouldn't cause any problems at all, yes, there is a small difference, but not much, not enough to purchase a new spring for?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I thought but here's one example- when I shot my rifle with commercial stock tube I had no problem. When I replaced it with mil-spec the bolt carrier stayed in front position after last round instead of back position as ussual. That's why I think the problem is the buffer spring.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I thought but here's one example- when I shot my rifle with commercial stock tube I had no problem. When I replaced it with mil-spec the bolt carrier stayed in front position after last round instead of back position as ussual. That's why I think the problem is the buffer spring.
View Quote
That doesn’t sound like a buffer spring issue to me it sounds like it might be a mag issue or maybe some other things. As others have said they both use the same spring. Post up pics
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

thank you
Jan
Czech republic
View Quote

Instead of Commercial -> Mil Spec (carbine) are you sure it's not
Rifle -> Mil Spec (carbine) ?

That's where nothing interchanges.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I would post pics but can't find out how. I konw there's icon above thi text but I'm IT looser
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Based on the drawing above, would the thread diameter difference be an issue?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you pull back the charging handle completely, can you manually lock the bolt back by manipulating the bolt catch?  If you can, that means, for some reason, that there isn't enough force from the gas to lock the bolt back on the last round.  If you cannot manually lock the bolt back, then for sure there is an issue with the bolt carrier/buffer/spring combination that has a dimension issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree with the post above. If the bolt carrier group won't manually lock back measure your spring first. From AR15.com archive:

A minimum length rifle spring (30 cm) looks a lot like a maximum length carbine spring (28.5 cm) but the coils of a rifle spring will stack before the carrier can go back far enough to lock.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  I would post pics but can't find out how. I konw there's icon above thi text but I'm IT looser
View Quote
Your pics will not display for non-Team members until you have 50 posts.  Either upload them here, or host them on imgur of something and post the links.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top