Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2017 11:28:10 PM EDT
I got a dpms mk12 barrel really cheap from my dealer and had been looking into clones but read on here its no profiled correctly for a clone. Really I didn't want to do a fill clone but I did want to put a 12" hand guard, the ops inc brake/collar and get the suppressor eventually but now I'm thinking its not gonna work.

Anyone have any insight?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Handguard not going to clear the gas block? Stick out too far? Is it their bull barrel? What exactly is the issue?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'n not familiar with the DPMS "Mk12" barrel, but an accurate Mk12 barrel has a specific profile which puts the collar in the correct position to run the can.

You might be able to get someone like ADCO to reprofile it (some guys did that with LaRue Stealths when they were on sale) but it would depend on the original profile.

Lot$ more can be found here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
No it's not the gas block or ability to put the the correct hand guard. I believe the issue is the collar location, I know the true mk 12 barrels have a taper from .720 to .749 where the collar goes. That taper I know the dpms does not have but I think the location of that taper is further up the barrel towards the muzzle on a spec barrel than the dpms. Taking material off is doable and I'd imagine not to expensive. My thing is I am not building a "mk12 clone" I just really wanted to use the ops inc brake/collar, allen suppressor and have the rail end before the gas block like on the mod 1. If I can't do it then I may need to consider getting a different barrel. I want to build my own version of the spr with moe rifle stock, dual charging upper, mlok rail and the ops inc/allen set up.

@ killer86,
Yeah that's where I saw that the dpms won't work.

I might end up needing to use a aac spr/m4
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
OK I measured the barrel after talking to adco and I need the "custom fit service" so I think that will involve a custom collar. Now this is where this is where the dpms is off. The barrel is supposed to be .700 from the shoulder to the beginning of the taper. The dpms is .718. Then the taper would begin .700 from the shoulder. The dpms is .718 diameter from the shoulder to the gas block area(2.7 inches from shoulder to gas block step).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top