Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2017 6:13:42 PM EDT
I can't believe no one has an 80% jig to loan with all the people that wanted one. I too have just one to do and would be happy to pay any costs incurred which is as it should be and only keep it for 2 weeks. I will also replace any parts I damage or pay for the part. Anyhow , thanks.  Frank Payne
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't you be reluctant to loan out over $200 of your own tools through the mail to a total stranger? I would.    Welcome to Arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a real good point. But I didn't start the thread, I thought I would give it a shot. I have a good friend with a real nice knee mill and he is willing to help. I think the best purpose for the jig if you have a mill is as a vice.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do a good amount of reading in these threads, it will get you going in the right direction:

80% Threads

Milling Info

Jig Holding
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It is more than just loaning it, there could be legal ramifications for loaning a jig these days.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn't you be reluctant to loan out over $200 of your own tools through the mail to a total stranger? I would.    Welcome to Arfcom.
View Quote
Mostly this for me. I might let a long time active member use it. Shipping it to someone who joined yesterday and their first post is asking to borrow my tools? No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:20:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Although I am sure I will end up buying an 80 jig when I have the extra cash, I like the idea of being able to rent one to do a couple if a user wanted to.  The way to do it would be having someone send what the Jig was worth to the owner, and then upon completion the owner sends the cash back to the guy who rented it minus the fee.  Wouldn't be that complicated either with PayPal gift and a 5-7 day turn around.  

I don't really understand the whole law where you can't borrow friends tools to complete builds.  That is just the craziest most unconstitutionalist thing I have ever heard.  You can go to a buddies garage and use his mill to make any part for a vehicle that you want, or to make anything for that matter... but then if you use it to work on your gun it is illegal?  They really stretch the laws sometimes but that one is a whole new level of stupid and I don't see how it could ever hold up if you got charged for using your buddies drill press or mill to work on your gun.  I can understand having to do the work yourself on a 80% lower to make it yours, but that is different.  A legal loophole here would be having your buddy sell you his milling machine for $5, and then after your done you decided to sell it back to him for what you had in it.  Might be a little grey area there, but the law itself is too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mostly this for me. I might let a long time active member use it. Shipping it to someone who joined yesterday and their first post is asking to borrow my tools? No thanks.
View Quote
Thanks for the welcome guys. I bought some wrenches and vise blocks and when I'm done with my build I'll be happy to loan them if someone pays the freight. I figured what the hell and just bought a modulus jig.  I saw this topic posted for loaning tools and it seemed like a good idea, so I asked. Now I'm getting crap for asking, I suggest you remove this topic. I'm no damn flake either, I'm 66 years old, retired and take care of my cars, guns and tools to keep them like new. I wasn't the only one asking to borrow a jig either. Do you honestly think the ATF gives a damn about someone loaning a tool out to go to his house and check to see where his jig is?  Hey guys, Obama is gone, there is s new sheriff in the White House.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you honestly think the ATF gives a damn about someone loaning a tool out to go to his house and check to see where his jig is?  Hey guys, Obama is gone, there is s new sheriff in the White House.
View Quote
As an FFL holder, yes, I know the BATF gives a damn about someone loaning a tool to complete a firearm.

There is a new sheriff in town, unfortunately, there is not a new BATF in town and the BATF is the ones that get to decide what is right or wrong still.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Builders Squad, Alpha Company.

It was fun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is more than just loaning it, there could be legal ramifications for loaning a jig these days.
View Quote
A strict reading of BATFE's opinions can be interpreted that even loaning someone an allen wrench if they use it to complete a lower could send you to the pokey, let alone a jig.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top