Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 6:27:19 PM EDT
I'm in the process of my first AR build and wanted to get some feedback.  This will be my only firearm (had to liquidate my humble collection a couple of years ago due to financial troubles).  It's intended for general range plinking and home defense.  

Budget is a serious consideration, but I want to ensure the quality it's sufficient for home defense.  I also am dead set on certain features, including non-reciprocating side charging, a linear comp, and a full length M-lol handguard. That said, the harshest environment this rifle will see is the range, and I'm the kind of guy that cleans after every outing (field strip + wipe down, serious scrubbing every few months) so I don't need something that can survive a war zone or serious abuse.  I've done a good amount of research and feel that I've selected parts that offer acceptable quality at reasonable prices.  I'm trying to keep it at right around $1k.

Many parts have already been acquired thanks to black Friday deals and a couple of early Christmas presents, but I'm not opposed to replacing parts that are totally inappropriate for a defensive weapon.

My plan so far (already acquired parts will be marked with an asterisk):

Adcor Defense stripped lower*

X-products side charging upper* (The 7075 one with mil-type forward assist, dust cover, and brass deflector.  It appears identical to the Matrix Arms side charging upper but was $40 cheaper.)

PSA LPK w/ EPT trigger and A2 grip*

PSA 5.56 16" 4150V nitride 1/7 Hbar barrel w/ carbine gas system* (as a Maryland resident any AR must be an hbar so I chose the carbine gas system to reduce weight, and because PSA had a smoking deal @$79)

PSA BCG w/ 9310 bolt*

Anderson carbine buffer/spring kit w/ mil-spec tube*

Magpul CTR*

JoeBob outfitter's adjustable low profile gas block

Spikes melonite gas tube

Guntec 15" lightweight free float M-lol handguard

Black River Tactical Covert Comp

Mbus

Primary Arms advanced micro dot w/ absolute cowitness riser

Still to be selected flashlight w/ M-lol mount and tape switch.

I know the red dot isn't exactly trust-your-life-to quality, but it's reviews are good enough for me to accept while I save for an Aimpoint PRO, and the mbus is there in case something goes bump in the night and my optic isn't working.

ETA:  Certain parts (including the barrel, handguard, optic, BCG, trigger, and pistol grip) may be upgraded down the road, but for now my goal is to get a functioning, reliable rifle with the features I want at a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything on your list looks good to me. I don't have an issue with anything on there. I'd also spend $15-20 on a better pistol grip. While the A2 is tried and true, for people like me, it's uncomfortable and God awful to look at. I also don't know if you'd benefit from having an adjustable gas block so maybe go down from an adjustable to a standard low-pro and using the savings on a pistol MAPUL MOE pistol grip?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything on your list looks good to me. I don't have an issue with anything on there. I'd also spend $15-20 on a better pistol grip. While the A2 is tried and true, for people like me, it's uncomfortable and God awful to look at. I also don't know if you'd benefit from having an adjustable gas block so maybe go down from an adjustable to a standard low-pro and using the savings on a pistol MAPUL MOE pistol grip?
View Quote

The adjustable gas block is to compensate for the carbine gas system/buffer and 16" barrel combo.  I hate over-gassed carbines (my last AR suffered from over gassing) and I would rather solve the problem with the gas block than address the symptoms with a heavier buffer.

The grip will be replaced, but it's very low on my priorities.  I'm not a fan of the A2, but it's not something that bothers me.  I'll probably leave it be and save up for a fancy, super fat grip of some variety after I upgrade the optic.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top