Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:36:08 PM EDT
What is the current ATF approved method of pinning and welding a muzzle device on a 14.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
This should help explain it.

http://blog.del-ton.com/2013/03/sbr-basics-of-short-barreled-ar-15.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the info you're wanting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Below is from Chapter 2 of the BATFE's NFA (National Firearms Act) Handbook. The best method in my opinion to limit the HAZ or heat affected zone when permanently attaching the muzzle device is to blind-pin the muzzle device. Which is also the method I used using a TIG Welder to bring my 14.625" barrel to 16.875" two years ago.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top