Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 12:46:00 PM EDT
I've almost finalized my build list and as my build fund slowly increases I am getting that much closer to actually starting to purchase all my parts. I'm looking for feedback, suggestions, opinions, criticism, advice on this build and you can see all the items on my build list below. This build is from scratch. Stripped upper stripped lower. The rifle will be an all purpose rifle for me. I know that "all purpose" is very broad, but literally I want it to be very useful for SHTF, hunting if need be, self defense, home defense, shooting out to around 400 yards if need be. I know one rifle cannot do all this perfectly, but it can do it all to some extent. So heres the build list. Let me know what you guys think. By the way I'm going to be cerakoting the upper, lower, and rail with a Burnt Bronze and Black mix. There's a thread about the Burnt Bronze/Black mix on here somewhere just google it it looks great. The furniture will all be black.

Lower Receiver
Bolt Catch        Seekins
Buffer Tube KitRainier Arms
Grip                        MIAD 1.1
Mag Release        DPMS Kit
Safety SelectorBAD-ASS
Stock                Magpul ACS-L
Stripped LowerSpikes Punisher
Takedown PinsBAD-EPS
Trigger               Geissele SD-C
Trigger Guard       Magpul MIAD Enhanced

Upper Receiver
Barrel               BCM 16" Mid-Length
BCG                       BCM
Brake/Comp       BattleComp 1.0
Charging Handle    BCM Gunfighter
Gas Block       BCM
Gas Tube              BCM Mid-Length
Rail                      Fortis REV 14"
Stripped Upper       BCM

Iron SightsMagpul MBUS PROs

Also what do you guys recommend for optics that would meet my needs? I know thats a very hard question to answer, but any suggestions are good. I thought about doing the Eotech EXPS2 with a 3x Magnifier.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. You didn't mention buffer. You should be able to run a standard carbine action spring and an H2 buffer, have a spare carbine buffer for cheaper ammo. You should use the spikes trigger guard with the spider on it, looks great on the punisher lower, and it's aluminum, great piece, that's how my bcm 14.5 middy is. Also, look at the Fortis Hammer charging handle, I just ordered one for my pistol I just built, if I like it I will replace my gunfighter in the middy, it gets great reviews and I am looking forward to the nickelene finish. I ordered the black teflon because I wasn't big on the color of the standard one.

ETA: Aimpoint Pro, awesome, you won't be sorry.

ETA: The battle comp is great, you will love it. Those next to you? Maybe not so much...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an EOTECH EXPS-2 and I'm looking for an aimpoint pro right now.
I also like the new MEPRO red dot sight (but haven't decided to get it instead of the Aimpoint PRO)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not a fan of RDS with flip to the side magnifiers. Used them on 2 deployments. While it does offer more versatility than just a red dot, I feel there are better options for an all around rifle. I would suggest looking at low power variables. Since this is your dream build, you may as well consider the VCOG, Mark 6 1-6x, USO 1-6x, Swarovski Z6i, etc. I have a Mark 6 and I absolutely love it. You can run KAC flip up offset irons as a back up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the feedback. Ive been thinking lately about doing either a 1-4x scope on the rifle or just do the EXPS2. Ive always been told that optics don't make you a better shot and that its possible to hit long range shots with just irons if you're good enough. I don't want too many things hanging off the rifle so the 3x magnifier would probably be a bad choice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]
the Rainier Arms buffer kit includes everything i think. heres the link to it

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3416
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest getting the Spikes Tactical buffer tube kit as they are very nice and a little cheaper.

As far as the sight I have an Aimpoint PRO and it is very nice also look at Vortex Viper PST they are a nice sight for the money.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spikes_Tactical_6pos_Milspec_Carbine_Stock_Kit_p/sp-sla500r-k.htm
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top