Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 9:23:01 AM EDT
I've read and heard different lengths.
16" Barrel so what would be better for reliability, mid-length or carbine?
I know this has been asked a 1000 times and the search function isn't as good for me (until I pay for membership!).
Any help would be great, creating my list now and I am already ordering parts!
Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Carbine's going to be more reliable across a wider spectrum because you'll be getting more gas.  Mid-length is going to be smoother and softer recoiling.  I like midlength a lot and have never had any reliability issues with a middy gas system on a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Mid-length...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If you asked this a few years back everyone on here would say carbine and when questions they would say "milspec" end of discussion.  

I prefer mid-length for 16" barrels and carbine for 14.5" and smaller barrels.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I like midlength today
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
After shooting both for years I can say there is a small difference in recoil with a middy compared to a carbine

that being said - both will work great
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
What was your last build.......this time do the opposite and try them both out for yourself
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
MID LENGTH!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the barrel one of the parts you already ordered?  If so, that will dictate which tube to use.  Either one will serve you fine.  If you are going to want to cover the gas block with a rail, the midlength will require a longer one, which will add more weight.  However some like the longer rail.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not ordered a barrel yet, I'm looking at a 16" barrel, just not sure which one just yet.
I have a Seekins adjustable low profile gas block and a Seekins 15" SP3R Mod Rail.

My first build was a pistol so that knowledge is pretty much useless in this build as far as barrel and tube length!

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
16" mid length
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Had this same question when i was building mine, went with mid length and got the same seekins adjustable gas block and everything was g2g.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top