Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 12:47:37 PM EDT
I cannot believe that KAC sells the tool for $100 to take off the URX rail!  WTF!

May I rent it from one of you guys?  I'll pay $20 just to use it...

I'm getting my gun cerakoted and I need to get it off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming you know how to remove it properly once you have the tool? I'm only asking because I was under the assumption that it was straight forward, but it's not.
I would contact Ayan over at boltcarrier.com. I'm in the process of having some work done on my SR-15 E3 and when I saw him remove the barrel nut it was not a process I would have even thought of. Ayan actually has a bag full of URX barrel nuts that were messed up from non-experienced people trying to do just the same.

I think that is a big reason why KAC sells that wrench at such a high price, so that people won't mess up their uppers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for you input...

I sort of jumped ahead of myself and posted this thread while I was on my phone and didn't quite do enough research until just a while ago.  The process of taking the barrel nut off does make me a bit nervous.  I wouldn't necessarily be the one performing the disassembly/assembly of the rail. The guy doing my cerakote is the one that would be doing most of the work and he claims that he can do it with the proper wrench. I'm not familiar directly with his armor skills, but his cerakoting is perfection.  He offered to split the cost with m on the wrench (which I may do) but after reading about how you almost need to be trained on using it, scares me a bit...

Why anyone would use an aluminum barrel nut is beyond me.  All these high end companies using proprietary parts and tools does make things difficult for the at-home gunsmith.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
After completely destroying a loaned URX wrench following KAC's instal instructions perfectly I'll be contracting out any URX work in the future.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top