Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2013 8:32:26 AM EDT
Posted this in the .308 forum as well

Just assembled an new .308 upper for a buddy built from all NEW parts. DPMS upper, DPMS BGC, DPMS 16 Oracle barrel.
Removed the ejector from the bolt and using the "GO" gauge, the BGC locks in nice.... BUT KINDA TIGHT pulling out?
Using the "NO-GO" gauge, the BCG will click but not lock and slides right out.
Is this the norm and are we good to "GO" for shooting or do we wear a face shield when we fire it and hope for the best?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You removed te ejector too, right?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You removed te ejector too, right?
View Quote
Yep!

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you means “locks in nice”?
It should not be kinda tight to pull out.
Technically if the bolt closes on the Go gage without force you should be OK.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What do you means "locks in nice”?

It should not be kinda tight to pull out.

Technically if the bolt closes on the Go gage without force you should be OK.

View Quote
Closes nice and smooth on the GO. Just does not pop right out, have to use a few fingers to pop it out.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I do see you edited your first post, you need to make sure that BOTH the ejector and the exctractor are removed from the bolt when checking headspace. The only thing that would cause what you are seeing (easy in, friction out) with regards to mechanical parts is stored energy (read:spring tension). you are creating spring tension either by compressing the go gauge into the chamber (the gauge SHOULD be inflexible, so more likely is some kind of debris in the chamber, or bolt face) or, the extractor has issues roatating back around the gauge (I believe the extractor has some tension when a round is inserted into the bolt face).

IANAGunsmith. If you can't find the source of this discrepancy then you should take it to one. Saving $50 in labor costs is not worth your rifle or limbs when the rubber hits the road.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I do see you edited your first post, you need to make sure that BOTH the ejector and the exctractor are removed from the bolt when checking headspace. The only thing that would cause what you are seeing (easy in, friction out) with regards to mechanical parts is stored energy (read:spring tension). you are creating spring tension either by compressing the go gauge into the chamber (the gauge SHOULD be inflexible, so more likely is some kind of debris in the chamber, or bolt face) or, the extractor has issues roatating back around the gauge (I believe the extractor has some tension when a round is inserted into the bolt face).

IANAGunsmith. If you can't find the source of this discrepancy then you should take it to one. Saving $50 in labor costs is not worth your rifle or limbs when the rubber hits the road.

Good luck!
View Quote
All good to go, my dumb ass only removed the extractor and not the ejector pin.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top