Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2013 10:43:49 PM EDT
Well folks, just about done with my ultimate (yeah right) SPR type build, lacking only forward assist, dust cover, and a couple of QD sockets for the stock, plus a couple of dress-up items like the Seekins bolt release and mag button.

Parts list:

Lower-Mega GTR-H ambi billet lower, JP LPK minus trigger, B.A.D. ambi selector, Wilson TTU 2-stage trigger, Magpul MOE Rifle stock, Ergo grip.

Upper-Mega billet, Rainier Arms match grade 18" mid-gas 1-8 twist SPR contour barrel, Young National Match bolt carrier assembly, Samson Evolution 15" rail system, Seekins Precision ATC comp.

Accessories-YHM BUIS, Burris MTAC 1.5 x 6 scope on a P.E.P.R. QD mount (good deal on a combo at SWFA) GG&G bipod. Still need a good weapon light...recommendations appreciated

All in basic black...the barrel was matte finish stainless, I painted it with high-temp stove paint. Hit it with 2 light coats, let it dry 24 hours, rubbed it with a clean cloth, and repeated...came out pretty nice.

It's all together, going to take it out for function test and barrel break-in in the next couple of days...I'll try to get a pic up soon.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
List looks pretty good.  Barrel should produce nice groups.  Just out of curiosity, why mid length gas and not rifle?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Those ingredients sound as hot as a bowl of Texas Chili. I was going for a Rainer 18" Rifle Length Gas Port but they were out of stock. Rainer has the best barrel guarantee of 'em all and I would have painted mine black too. I wound up purchasing a Criterion Hybrid Contour 18" Rifle Length Gas Port on Thursday from Brownells. From what info I've gathered the rifle length port should cycle reliably...with a mid length port you won't have any problems. Looking forward to a photo...
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
List looks pretty good.  Barrel should produce nice groups.  Just out of curiosity, why mid length gas and not rifle?
View Quote

Essentially, because that's what they had in stock

I may go on to order a 20" rifle gas barrel later on, but for right now, I'm going to have to lay off the credit cards for a while

She's a bit on the hefty side, coming in at 10.5 pounds ready to rock...so if I do try a rifle gas barrel, it will be a light contour

Edit: Just noticed I used an emoticon on every line...Gods, what's next? Five or six exclamation points after every sentence?

I need more whisky.

Also forgot to mention charging handle in the parts list, it's a BCM Mod 44 ambi.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, let's make an attempt at posting a pic...

</a>" />

There she is, folks. And a bonus habanero plant in the background.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this was my first build from scratch, with the right tools and the resources here it was a breeze.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent job...especially for a first build.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys

Hope to get some range time this coming week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Sexy gun, great job for a first build!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I finally got some trigger time with it

Fired 60 rounds of Herters 62 gr. HPs and another 30 of M855 (LC 11).

The steel case case ammo ran perfectly, with the empties landing at 3 o'clock about 8 feet away.

I noticed light wipes and flat primers with the M855, and ejection was a little more enthusiastic, 4 o'clock and about 10 feet away.

This was barrel break-in and function check time, I wasn't shooting for groups other than getting the BUIS and the scope on paper @ 50 yards.

It was a pleasant way to spend the morning, all by myself up in the Capitol Forest

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top