Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:02:22 AM EDT
I am on my 2nd AR build and thought I would tackle more on this build than just the lower.  I am using the book "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee as as well as this website as my references.  Here are my 2 questions:

1. Bought a complete bolt carrier group to make that easier and the carrier screws were not staked.  Should I go ahead and disassemble the group, clean, lubricate appropriate parts  and reassemble it?

2. What do you use to "stake" the  carrier key screws?  Is there a special tool to use?  Haven't seen one in Brownells that says for AR bolts, does that matter?.  Can you use an appropriate sized screwdriver?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year to all.

Kevin
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am on my 2nd AR build and thought I would tackle more on this build than just the lower.  I am using the book "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee as as well as this website as my references.  Here are my 2 questions:

1. Bought a complete bolt carrier group to make that easier and the carrier screws were not staked.  Should I go ahead and disassemble the group, clean, lubricate appropriate parts  and reassemble it?

2. What do you use to "stake" the  carrier key screws?  Is there a special tool to use?  Haven't seen one in Brownells that says for AR bolts, does that matter?.  Can you use an appropriate sized screwdriver?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year to all.

Kevin

Kevin:  What brand of BCG did you buy?  Some makers use a high-temp, thread locking adhesive instead of staking to secure the key.  IMO, that should be good enough if done correctly. - CW

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]
MOACKS tool...
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The MOACKS tool is probably the proper way to stake it, but I've staked two of my older ones I used to have from fun show parts.  I went to Home Depot and bought a Nail Set punch.  I remember reading somewhere they are hardened a little more than a standard punch.  All you really need to do is deform the metal around the head of the bolt to prevent the bolt from backing out.  Probably would work better than a screwdriver.  Maybe not more than 5 bucks for the punch.

Just be careful to support the Key when you smack it so you don't damage anything.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a chromed BCG from Fulton.  I haven't done anything to it except look at it, so I do not know if the screws have any locking adhesive on them. I will check. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The MOACKS is probably the most proper way to do it, but I've done it with a hammer and center punch.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top