Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 11:50:29 AM EDT

gas tube isnt going very far in the gas block, it stops right before gas tube hole enters gas block, I pushed it pretty hard, it got stuck, i had to fight it back out.

Can I put a little grease on the gas tube? Or should I get a Punch and give it some lovin from the inside of the upper rec.

Open to any and all suggestions, I'm at a stand still..... BTW It is a UTG 4 weaver rail block.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

gas tube isnt going very far in the gas block, it stops right before gas tube hole enters gas block, I pushed it pretty hard, it got stuck, i had to fight it back out.

Can I put a little grease on the gas tube? Or should I get a Punch and give it some lovin from the inside of the upper rec.

Open to any and all suggestions, I'm at a stand still..... BTW It is a UTG 4 weaver rail block.

caveat emptor

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Yah know man,,,, It had great reviews, I have 5 rifles to finnsh, and 5 more gas tubes to get in these blocks, Somebody Please throw me a bone here
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy once cry once. Cheap China crap never works for long if it works at all. Go U.S.A.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a squirt of WD-40
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quickest fix:

1.  Get 2 drill bits.
2.  Drill the hole for the gas tube to the proper depth. (A little deeper won't matter as long as you don't go all the way through the block.)
3.  Redrill the hole for the roill pin.
4.  Run the drill bit in the gas tube hole again to make sure there isn't a ridge from the roll pin hole.
5.  Put it together.

Longer fix:

1. Send it back to the distributor for exchange
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Its made in the USA, you ass, and if YOU want too keep waving the flag, maybe we should compare DD214's, thats if you have one.

Made a post looking for a little advice and If you have none shut your pie hole.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks Covert and Loco, The dept of the hole is deep enuff, it's the width, tubes to fat, or gasblock hole is a tad tight,    I think I will try wd14, then if it fails I'll grrrrrr....

Take the drill to it
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I would use a small plastic hammer/mallet to tap the tube in,presuming the hole is deep enough.I would hazard a wild ass GUESS there's a small burr inside that you're hung up on.You may also take a small strip of fine emery paper and roll a tight little cylinder and push/twist it in the gas block ,open it up just a tiny bit.
Good luck!     Let us know what you find.

edit:  tap on the gas block and not on the tube...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
If you got to use the drill, try twisting the bit in the hole by hand first. Probably just some crud in there and nothing that will need that much to loosen up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks guys, gonna slam a beer real quick, and go fix my mess,    I'll give ya's the end result

Smiles,
 Wakes
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd try the emory paper or a hand spun drill bit. It's probably just the finish is to thick right there. Have you tried all 5 to see if just one is fubar.

Make sure they didn't put a roll pin in the hole to keep it from getting lost
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll need a .180 reamer or a number 15 drill.......run it by hand......probably a little thick annodizing.....or you could run a little 400 grit emery cloth rolled up in and out of the hole......or you could just have a bur on the gas tube hole .....touch it up with a fingernail file.......one of the paper ones......
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered an adjustable gas block (PRI) that the fit was real tight. The instructions suggeted 400 grit paper on the last few inches of the gas tube. Took about ten stroke and it was good enough but still good and tight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah!  Beer and gun building.  Good choice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Well, its 3 or 4 beers later, the kids stopped by and had to have a few with them, soooo, gonna go give it hell now, these builds are for the kids so I had to shut the shop down so they didn't see what iI was working on. gonna walk the dog (+ 1 beer) , Then I will take on the Tube, and I will kick its ass, I hope

Cheers,
      Me
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Its made in the USA, you ass, and if YOU want too keep waving the flag, maybe we should compare DD214's, thats if you have one.

Made a post looking for a little advice and If you have none shut your pie hole.

Well said.

I used one of those UTG railed GBs (made in USA printed right on it) and it is a quality piece.

Nice machining (decades in the machine shop qualifies me to say so), nice finish, great fit.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
UTG is not good stuff. Plenty of threads about the issues.

Send it back and get better parts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I also had an Armilite Gas block, the tube was stubborn going in to that,  I bought all the tubes from the same place.

Anyway, Emory cloth did the trick.

Thank's Everybody,  you folks have a great community here, I'm glad to be part of it. I can't spell, I'm not 12,  its just a Marine thing Guess

<S>
    Wakes
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top