Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2012 4:56:02 AM EDT
Thinking about picking up 2-5 lowers and making some toys from them.
I would like to know makes a nice "cheap" lower.
I understand you get what you pay for but with all the companies out there I'm sure some one makes a nice one that won't brake the bank.

Any input on LPK and uppers is welcome.

Uppers to build it or buy it, that may be the question.

This will be my 1st build.

I have a Bushy so I know I like the  platform.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Cheapest I know of is Surplus Ammo & Arms rollmarked lowers.....PSA if you get them a few times a year on sale.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
My vote is on PSA, even off sale they are $80.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I was gonna get a PSA, but ended up with a Spikes because the FFL had some on hand and it was cheaper than getting a PSA and paying the transfer fee.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Cheapest I know of is Surplus Ammo & Arms rollmarked lowers

I finished building my last lower out of the "Essential-Arms-Pre-Obama-Election-Stash" a while back, so I signed-up to be notified when Aim Surplus got more of the $60 Surplus Arms & Ammo lowers in stock. Last night at 5:25pm I got an email notifying me that they were in stock. Less than 2 hours later I sat down in front of my computer with CC in hand to order a pile of them and... they were already gone!

So now I'm back on the notification list, and I won't be so slow (Yeah. Less than 2 hours!) next time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I finished building my last lower out of the "Essential-Arms-Pre-Obama-Election-Stash" a while back, so I signed-up to be notified when Aim Surplus got more of the $60 Surplus Arms & Ammo lowers in stock. Last night at 5:25pm I got an email notifying me that they were in stock. Less than 2 hours later I sat down in front of my computer with CC in hand to order a pile of them and... they were already gone!

So now I'm back on the notification list, and I won't be so slow (Yeah. Less than 2 hours!) next time.

Start carrying a smart phone.  "Next time" it'll be more like 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Many local gun shops carry stripped lowers for around $130 or so. If you find one online for $80 then by the time you add in shipping + transfer fees ... there's not much if any difference at all except for the brand name and a little hassle.

I like some brands over others when it comes to matching color, cool roll marks and preference with fire selector markings, but for the most part a lower is a lower with some exceptions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Start carrying a smart phone. "Next time" it'll be more like 2 minutes.

I did get the email on my Droid... while driving. Then, of course, as soon as I got home, Momma hit me with a to-do-right-now list. That's why the time lapse.

Trust me. Wehn I got the ST-T2 buffer email from Aim, I had order confirmation for three of them within 5 minutes of receiving the notification.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was gonna get a PSA, but ended up with a Spikes because the FFL had some on hand and it was cheaper than getting a PSA and paying the transfer fee.

this, but CMMG
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
DSA has em for $75 and a couple bucks shipping
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
PSA - $80.

I have two of them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many local gun shops carry stripped lowers for around $130 or so. If you find one online for $80 then by the time you add in shipping + transfer fees ... there's not much if any difference at all except for the brand name and a little hassle.

I like some brands over others when it comes to matching color, cool roll marks and preference with fire selector markings, but for the most part a lower is a lower with some exceptions.

What he said.  

I found a YHM stripped lower at a shop, $140 out the door, instant gratification for a few extra bucks.  Figured online pricing has to include shipping, FFL fees and wait time.  Everything else I ordered, but I wanted the lower in the quickest and easiest manner.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I paid $99 for a complete lower from New Frontier, being local I picked it up last week. Had to pay sales tax but nothing for registration as my CCW covers that. JoeBobs has them for sale too.

Used this lower with my 6.8 SPC upper, nice trigger pull for shooting this week.

I also purchased a Forged mil spec lower $79 stripped. But for that one I paid a whole lot more putting the stuff I wanted on it:

• DPMS buffer tube
    Spikes Tactical T2 buffer
    Sprinco "blue" action spring
    ALG Defense Combat Action tigger
    Hogue pistol grip
    Mako recoil reduction stock
    DPMS LPK

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I paid $99 for a complete lower from New Frontier, being local I picked it up last week. Had to pay sales tax but nothing for registration as my CCW covers that. JoeBobs has them for sale too.

Used this lower with my 6.8 SPC upper, nice trigger pull for shooting this week.

I also purchased a Forged mil spec lower $79 stripped. But for that one I paid a whole lot more putting the stuff I wanted on it:

• DPMS buffer tube
    Spikes Tactical T2 buffer
    Sprinco "blue" action spring
    ALG Defense Combat Action tigger
    Hogue pistol grip
    Mako recoil reduction stock
    DPMS LPK

I bought a couple of those lowers.  Threw a no name upper on one that was rotting in the closet and it made a decent combination.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top