Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 1:51:45 PM EDT
Hey everone, I'm new to AR15s but not firearms.  I have two SKSs, a few .22s, a couple shotguns and a 9mm or two.  I'm finally looking into building my first AR15 and am very intrigued by the Del-Ton kits.  I've read a lot of great things about their kits.  I did want to find out what the difference is between the chrome lined and chrome moly barrels.  Is it worth the extra cash for the chrome lined?  I'm in Commyfornia so I need to have the bullet button installed but it's not that big of a deal.  Actually, I only say that because I have no choice.  Anyway, thanks in advance for helping a new guy out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I like chrome lined and a chrome Bolt carrier group also. Easier to clean and longer lasting> There will be differing views on this...
BTW... run away from Kalyfornya ASAP!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Olympic arms has some really nice all stainless steel barrels at a pretty reasonable price. I really like mine and they seem to be very accurate. You can also puchase it "natural" or colored black.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I'm trying to understand what the advantages and disadvantages to either barrel is.  I know that chrome lined is better with corrosive ammo but I'd imagine most all .223 is non-corrosive anyway.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Chrome:  Longer barrel life.

Moly:  More accurate.. or rather more precise.

The whole accuracy will only be an issue if you are planing to do precision shooting and your no mag dumps.  

Also, my understanding is that Del-Ton has a waiting list for chrome barrels.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I just finished my Del-Ton lower. No problems, everything went together great.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
del-ton is good to go. i did not get the chromed barrel, but i did get the chrome bolt and carrier.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top