Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2009 12:39:20 PM EDT
How tight?  I installed my compensator with a crush washer.  Tightened until it hit the crush washer and then turned it two full turns with a wrench.  The first time around got it snug, but the second full turn took some serious muscle while holding the lower with my hand in the magwell (I have no vise...my entire build was done at my computer desk).

Is it possible to tighten too much onto a crush washer?  (I only ask because my old lady calls me gorrilla hands when I work on cars and always seem to break something)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/dgimagesphotography/AR%20Stuff/Bayo-Lug-Cut-3.jpg
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Two full turns is about 3/4 turn past the max on the specs I use (from Brownells):

Minimum 90 degrees, continue until indexed, maximum 450 degrees total. Since your device doesn't appear to have a specific "top" or "bottom"  I would have probably turned it one full turn and left it thereabouts.

Since you got yours installed with no obvious damage, it would seem okay. The cupped crush washers give, and I don't think (short of completely flattening them) that it will hurt to crush them past spec. As long as your threads didn't strip and you device isn't bunged up, you're GTG. You said you didn't clamp the barrel so it's doubtful you put that much torque on the threads.

ETA: I remember this photo from your bayo lug thread. I take it you installed the muzzle device before you started cutting on the lug? Did you ever get some bluing on that? How does it look now?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If there is no defined true "TOP" or "Bottom", then 1/2 to 1 turn past initial contact should suffice.  It has been said that too much stress and tightness can have an adverse effect on accuracy.  That's why I like certain FS's over others...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured since I held the whole thing by hand during the install I couldnt do any damage.  Forgot to mention, there is one hole on top and the bottom is solid...I got it indexed...as long as I didnt gorilla tighten it I guess I'm good or should I back it off a bit?

As for the bayo lug....I trimmed some more and sprayed it with flat black engine paint.  Here is a pic of it in the white...I didn't take one of it painted yet.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/dgimagesphotography/AR%20Stuff/Lug-Cut-1.jpg
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
bump
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do back it off you will have to remove it, replace the washer, and start over. The washers are designed to give and won't spring back much after being crushed. They're a "use once, throw away" item.

From your photo I couldn't tell that the bottom is solid. If you have it indexed leave it alone, I doubt that you put enough torque on it holding it in your hands to hurt anything.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a bit more than I would have tightened it, but since you said you held it by hand when tightening - I guess it should be fine.

Any reason why you didn't just grind off the bayo lug, like all other "ban compliant" lugs?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you do back it off you will have to remove it, replace the washer, and start over. The washers are designed to give and won't spring back much after being crushed. They're a "use once, throw away" item.

From your photo I couldn't tell that the bottom is solid. If you have it indexed leave it alone, I doubt that you put enough torque on it holding it in your hands to hurt anything.

10-4 thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's a bit more than I would have tightened it, but since you said you held it by hand when tightening - I guess it should be fine.

Any reason why you didn't just grind off the bayo lug, like all other "ban compliant" lugs?

I just assumed it was GTG the way I have it now.  I used a Dremmel and was just happy I didn't cut up the barrel.  Do you think what I have will be a problem?  If I have to chop the rest off I will, but if I don't have to , Im happy with it the way it is.  ADCO neuters the bayo lugs to make them ban compliant and leave alot more of the lug...see below pic from their site...

http://www.adcofirearms.com/detailpics/delugged.jpg
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top