Not Pictured:  Empty wallet
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
nice.............
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
frickin awesome.  i'm really impressed.  dont f*ck with a boy named sue unless you really know what's in his guitar case.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
That's Badass -
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
where did you get the padding for the guncase?
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome, the only things missing are 2 suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice stick, but why the UBR stock on a CQB rifle?  It seems like an odd combo, but I bet it makes the front feel light!
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice stick, but why the UBR stock on a CQB rifle?  It seems like an odd combo, but I bet it makes the front feel light!

I like the UBR 'cause it has that compartment that I can store fruit snacks, plus it seems to balance the rifle around my trigger finger with a full 30 round mag.

Quoted:
where did you get the padding for the guncase?

ancient chinese secret.... actually i made it myself, all the supplies available at your local hardware store.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice!
What is the material?
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#12]
That is sweet.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice looking.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#14]
classic!
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't believe how fast my droid phone loaded those. Pics, especialliy since I am in the woods deer hunting. Nice setup btw.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

thats gotta be my favorite smily.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 5:05:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, they did it with the Thompsons a long time ago, I'm glad someone renewed the idea. That could be one of my coming projects. Nice combo for it. As a guitar player, nobody would be the wiser. Did you use 1" stryro and velvet or what. Did you take, "as you did it shots"?  Yeah, needs something to tame all that loud music in there........nice job, really.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Just save up for a name- brand forgrip and drop the YHM rail and you're all set!
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
El Mariachi  lol.

LOL...that was the first thing that popped into my head!  Man, i wish i could own a shorty like that!!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#20]
love it , great job
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#21]
How much to make me one???

I am too lazy
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much to make me one???

I am too lazy

Guitar Case:  70$
Foam: 30$
Fabric: 15$
Glue: 3$

so, around 120$ for materials.  

thanks for all the feedback everyone.  if any one is actually interested in making their own, pm me for details or maybe i can write up a how to or something
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I think a how to is deffinitly in order. i'd like to make one out of a violin case
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I want one of those.  That guitar case is the bomb.  If the 240 AR rounds doesn't take care of your problems, then the pistol should make a good backup.  

Don't leave home without it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice.
I'd love to have an AR pistol that used Beretta 96/.40 magazines.

...obligatory 'page 2 ownage' statement...
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think a how to is deffinitly in order. i'd like to make one out of a violin case

Agree, how-to on the case is required.....looks damn good.

and uh, by pistol you meant SBR <VFG-uh oh>

Link Posted: 11/8/2009 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Something similar designed for rifles.

LWECI Ultimate Discrete Rifle Case
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry for the delay, here's how it was done:

I found this once when I was googling Salma Hayek and Smurfette.  http://www.cromwell-intl.com/garand/m1-garand-assembly/custom-case.html

Basically I used that as a guide... but unlike him, I didn't do it half assed.

Here's another link to a discrete case built by an arfcommer:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=457170

Heres my destructions.  Sorry no pics of the process, if you check out the first link above you'll get the idea.  There are probably lots of ways to do this.  This is just how I did it, I'm sure someone thats smarter than I am will come up with some improvements or new ideas.

Materials Needed
Some kind of case
Spray in insulation
Spray on adhesive
Fabric Fur
Plastic Food Wrap
Fillet Knife
Razor Blades
Cardboard scraps

1.  Find a guitar case
Measure twice, cut once.  Lots of places have return policies for items that are unused, and I did return the first case I got because it was too small for the mags and rifle.  
Once you've got a case, figure out how you want to lay your items out.  I found a soft shell case that works great.  It came with a syrofoam shell that I used to fill with more foam.

2.  Destroy the case
My guitar case came with a fur lining that I peeled off. And, since my case was a soft case, I took off the outer fabric leaving only the inner styrofoam shell.  Then I had to use a razor to trim some of the actual styrofoam case material itself.  Take all the guts out of your case.

3.  Seal up your items
Take your plastic food wrap or similar shrink wrap your items.  (home depot sells some killer stuff on a narrower roll thats easier to work with)  Go around a couple times.  You do not want to get any spray foam on your firearms/accessories.  I went around 5-6 times.  The extra layers allow you to pull your items out of the foam more easily later.   Make sure you don't leave any gaps.

4.  Place your items in the case
I used card board scraps to make stand offs.  This allowed me to hold the items at the actual depth I wanted them to be in the case.  I put the cardboard stand offs into the case, then set the the items on top to check the depth.

5.  Spray foam time
Go to town with the spray insulation.  Its really goopy, so be careful.  I did this in my living room with no gloves and didnt end up with any on the floor or my hands.  but be careful!  I recommend putting some kind of newspaper or old blanket down to work on, even if you're doing this in your garage.  Make sure you read the instructions on the spray foam.

It forms a skin in about 10 minutes, and doesnt become firm until 8 hours later.  I did one layer at a time, let it setup for about 3 minutes, then did another quick layer over it.  I did the first layer with the cardboard stand offs only, and no items positioned.  Then when the foam was about the height of the cardboard standoffs, I positioned all my items on the standoffs, then continued to fill with more foam around my stuff.  The cans are one time use only, so smoke em while you got 'em.  All in all I filled the case about 60% full, and the next morning the spray foam had filled all the gaps.  Do not completely fill the case with foam and do not cover the tops of your items with foam.

6.  Wait 8-10 hours
Have a beer.  Wait for the foam to setup.

7.  Dig your stuff out
This is where you will panic, and say "why did i cover all my toys in foam?!  Not to worry.  You can cut open the plastic wrap on your items and pull them out of the foam.  They may be held in pretty firmly, but you can trim away any excess foam to get them free.  A fillet knife or razor is useful here.  Trim away any excess foam thats preventing you from pulling everything out.

8.  Trim away excess foam
The fillet knife is your friend here.  The case I had came with a styrofoam guitar shaped shell.  I used the hard edge of that to hold the fillet knife flat, and then trimmed away surplus foam evenly.  This makes the top of the case flat.

9.  Figure out what to do with the top
Now with all the foam cutouts for the bottom of the case nearly complete, place all your items in their spots and wrap the entire bottom of the case in plastic wrap.  This gets you ready to do the foam for the top half.

10.  Foam up the top of the case
Add foam to the top half of the case.  Again, I filled mine about 60% full.  Immediately after filling the top with foam, I flipped it over and onto the bottom half of the case.  This allows the foam on the top half of the case to expand and form to the shape of the items in the bottom of the case, and will give you a more secure fit during transportation.  I didn't wan't anything bouncing around.

11.  Wait some more
Again, wait 8-10 hours for the foam to setup before continuing.

12.  Trim top half foam
This is just like step 8, but for the top half.  Trim away any bumps and lumps that.  I trimmed the top of mine so it was smooth, except the areas with specific contours for holding stuff from the bottom half.

13.  Add fabric
Take your can aerosol spray adhesive, and spray it on your foam.  Start at one end and work your way to another.  Do a little bit at a time and make sure the fabric gets into all the corners.  Be careful not to use too much spray because it might seep through the fabric.  Once I filled a cut out area with foam, i put the item into the cutout area and put a heavy weight on it, to make sure the fur wouldnt pull up while the glue was setting.  Read the instructions on your aerosol glue to see how long it will take to set.  I was able to complete the bottom half of my case in one evening.  Do the same for the top half and you're done!

hope thats useful to those of you that have asked.  If anyone has specific questions or ways to improve the process, let me know!
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah because a no-name vertical grip isn't as vertical or grippy or cool or something and everybody knows that YHM rails are crap because they don't cost more. Damn gun snobbery.

Job well done

Quoted:
Just save up for a name- brand forgrip and drop the YHM rail and you're all set!

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#31]
 good one banshee
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#32]
VERY COOL!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice work and thanks for the how-to.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#36]
really cool definitly my next project
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#37]
That's awesome.

Nice job!
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
really cool definitly my next project

thanks everyone for the feedback.  if anyone does a similar project using the how-to i'd be interested in seeing pics of how it turns out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Very cool.............and very discreet .
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Very cool. I like it, I like it alot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#41]
WIn!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#42]
One of the coolest SBRs I have ever seen.  Well done.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#43]
VERY impressive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Great build and awesome case! Fantastic set-up

This:
Quoted:

Go shit somewhere else
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#45]
love it, I am all about discreet cases, and this takes the case, the fact it holds primary and secondary is awesome
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#46]
2 cool, i am building a 10.5, any pointers on building the case?  do you have pics of putting it together?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top