Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2001 5:25:30 PM EDT
I renamed the thread tittle since the RnD is done, just the building part.

======================================
Well, I'm in R&D phase......

My Ideas:
24" H-bar in 6mm PPC
Removable sight type gas block-
    Oly Arms quoted 252.00 ready to install
DPMS Lo-Pro Upper Rec
Standard 20" barrel handguards; nothing fancy

My Q's
Suggested twist rate to stabilize 100gr+ 6mm
I'm thinking about using 1:9 ..... Suggestions??

Where can I get a DPMS low pro upper cheap.  I've seen Federal Arms has something like it....but is it one or is that a nock of brand?

Also, where can I get a 7.62x39 bolt.  Fed Arms has complete 223 bolt/carriers for under $100, but the 7.62x39 bolts in Brownells are about $85.00.

Using an Oly Arms barrel ($252.00), Federal Arms "Lo-Pro" ($79.00), complete carrier ($99.00) & Brownells 7.62 bolt ($85).  Looking at $515.... then add about $150 to cover shipping, handguards, mis stuff.----- 665 or so.

Ideas, comments, suggestions........

Kaliburz

Link Posted: 9/13/2002 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Still waiting...

Thanks for the tip Mickeymike, but I'll still go with it.  It's my hunting barrel....

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Still waiting....
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure that you find a good source of brass.
Brass should run you about $85-$100.00
PER 100 Pcs.

Yes, it is that expensive, and not a typo.

Personally i will stay with my 6mm Ackley Improved in a bolt gun. Shoots real far, and is really accurate.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the order to Oly has been cancelled due to the length of time....

Going to secondary.....

Edit-12/25/02
Secondary plan in motion  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Now you've got me wondering...

I had a Remington XP-100 in 7mm BR and it shot like a dream...

I wonder if it would cycle reliably in an AR...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now you've got me wondering...

I had a Remington XP-100 in 7mm BR and it shot like a dream...

I wonder if it would cycle reliably in an AR...
View Quote

IIRC, Kurt of Kurt's Kustom had pics of a 6mm or a 7mm BR upper for the AR15 at one time.  You might want to search for it or look at his homepage for info on it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Kaliburz,

Let us know how the project is going. If your secondary plan falls threw, Here is the number for Rocky Mountain Rifle works. If Mark is near his production run is 6mm, you could get a barrel in a few months.  Also, you could luck out, and mark could have a 6mm barrel that someone didn't pick up.

Mark Chanlynn @ Rocky Mountain Rifle Works.
303-823-6270

P.S. His barrels are cut on a Pratt Whitney barrel machine that was brought back from England and rebuilt. So you can get any twist you want, and any contour, including fluting.
If you need references, pick any one of the U.S. Olympic shooting team members.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Dano523,

Thanks for the info.  That's one number I'll keep safe for future projects.  And found the web site too (bookmarking). [url]http://www.gunsport.net/chanlynn/[/url]

That's a nice looking shop pictured there!!!

I ended up ordering a 1:8 24" barrel. The idividual building will be using a super match Pac-Nor barrel blank.  I think he is fairly well known here on the board.... he likes to build big bored AR uppers.... (Did I give it away...)
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
No worries!!!

The thing to remember is the Mark builds his own barrel from roll stock to completion.  Since he first drills, then cut the rifling(machine just behind him), it takes him a few hours to complete just one barrel, so barrels are done in caliber batches.

Also, if the barrel is to be fluted, it is first fluted before drilled.  This keeps the rifling from being disturbed(stressed) when the barrel is mill cut(machine that the AR-15 is resting on).

The one thing that I must stress on using Mark is check when he is going to build the caliber barrel that you want.  His lead time can be over a year, but if you time it right, well worth the few months wait.
Dano
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Under Construction
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Under Construction
View Quote

So you got the barrel ????

Jamie
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under Construction
View Quote

So you got the barrel ????

Jamie
View Quote

No, the parts were sent off to the individual doing the barrel.  The offer for the barrel and assembly was TOO good to pass up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2003 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#13]
How do the balistics of the 6mm-.223 compare to the PPC?

I have toyed with buying an upper in this caliber, you would have the advantages of same bolt, cheap brass, same mags and the better balistics of the 6mm bullet.

Any thoughts or real world experience with this caliber?
Link Posted: 2/3/2003 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
"How do the balistics of the 6mm-.223 compare to the PPC?

I have toyed with buying an upper in this caliber, you would have the advantages of same bolt, cheap brass, same mags and the better balistics of the 6mm bullet.

Any thoughts or real world experience with this caliber? "

Im wondering the same thing, on how reliable the 6mm PPC is in feeding etc. and if the extra 100FPS over the 6mm-223 is worth going for.

one of you guys has to know some things on this...

thanks

TF
Link Posted: 2/4/2003 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'm not an expert....

The 6mm PPC is a bench rest round.  Is is very accurate from what I have read.  It has a slight edge over the 6-223 (aka 6x45) by a few 100fps.  For some, they want this.

Why I choose it... I'm not quite sure any more.  At the time, I made that call.  At the time, I think a friend suggested it due to it having more case capacity and the accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2003 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, my ammo for upper testing has been sent off.  So in the next few weeks, I should have my 6mm PPC upper in hand and ready to play.

It's not the original confige I started.  It's now a 1:8 twist bull barrle (IIRC).  Still 24" and flat top.

Some of you might be wondering who is assembling my upper.  Well, he is a fellow member of this board... someone who took a vacation from building big bore uppers.

Did you guess yet?  If that hint didn't work... Tony Rumore of Tromix.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I have my 6mm PPC upper!  Now to get a scope and load up some ammo.

Thanks Tony!  I"ll let you know how it does on paper.

I'll try to get a pic up, but it might take me some time.

Link Posted: 4/11/2003 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://www.mini-14-accuracy.com/img/bullets.jpg[/img]

I found some uppers here in 6mm

[url]http://www.mini-14-accuracy.com/ar15_conversion.html[/url]

what is the benefit over .223?
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
The main benefit is having a "hunting" round in my view.  In some states, the .224" cal is too small while the .243" is allowed.   Granted, getting a 7.62x39 upper would solve that problem, but then you have performance issues.  Also, getting the 6mm x 223 would solve the hunting round and is less expensive then the 6mm PPC.  Plus, resizing 223 brass is quicker.  The 6mm PPC, though, is  a very accurate round. As this round was developed and is (last I heard) used in bench rest shooting.

Looking at the webpage that the pic above /\ came from, that little asterik says that the 6 PPC has the "same" performance as the 243 round!  Mmmm...maybe for the lighter bullets IF it's loaded hot!  It all depends on who you ask also.....

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#20]
..... Well, I still haven't shot it..... but at least it has a scope now....

Hope to bore sight the scope this week.....

(Yes, yes, it's taking me a long time....)

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Lets see if this works....

[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c661b06/bc/FA+Stuff/Tromix+6mm+PPC+on+Cavalry+Arms+lower.jpg?bcC1vQ_AVxrLHjxD[/img]

It is a free floated 24 inch H bar A3 upper. The scope is 3-12x50 from CDNN. Lower is a Cav Arms w/ a RRA match trigger (from the 2001 LEGP)

If the pic doesn't work, try this..

[url]http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wazzu98grad/vwp?.dir=/FA+Stuff&.dnm=Tromix+6mm+PPC+on+Cavalry+Arms+lower.jpg&.src=ph[/url]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top