Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 11:16:19 AM EDT
ok , i was at the gun shop about a month ago when i was buying my new m4 and as i was leaving the guy at the counter was telling me all about the rem. 6.8 and now it's all i can think about . I know the ammo is more expensive but i can't help myself i want one so bad . I'm currently thinking about just getting a 6.8 upper and some mags if thats poss. however i really want to build an ar also so maybe i should just build a 6.8 ....or should i go with a different caliber ? so fellas what do you think . and btw for me to build a gun over time just will not happen ,  once i get started it has to be finished ..like as soon as i can get the parts to my house . i have zero patients  "i think this is a man thing "
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Have one 6.8 from Cardinal (20") and another due to arrive soon from Titan Armory (16").  Ammo is about $1 a round, but I like the beefed up AR platform.

C-Products sellls mags.  SSA and Horandy sell ammo (and some others).
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy 7.62X39 upper cheap ammo, bigger bullet, holow points
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll take a 6.8 over 7.62x39 any day. I have two. A 20" and a 16". Ammo is more expensive but learn to reload them and there is a very good selection of bullets that can cover varmints to deer and even elk have been taken with the 6.8. The bolts are generally stronger in the 6.8 despite higher operating pressures over the 7.62x39 as there is more meat left in the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What you really want is a .458 SOCOM.  6.8mm just doesn't have enough punch.  And you have to get those proprietary magazines.  .458 SOCOM uses unmodified AR mags.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What you really want is a .458 SOCOM.  6.8mm just doesn't have enough punch.  And you have to get those proprietary magazines.  .458 SOCOM uses unmodified AR mags.

Get one of each.  I am - when I have the $
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Bushmaster 6.8 and love it.  I can't talk you down because I have the bug too.  I just added 5.45x39 to the mix and I'm giving 6.5 Grendel the eye now.  I just can't get enough. I love the AR platform
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top