Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2008 3:27:15 AM EDT
I'm trying to remove the FSB but the taper pins won't buge. yes I'm doing for the correct side.
Can some one help?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster? Try soaking them in CLP overnight. Then place a 1" thick board on each side of the FSB have someone hold the upper end and whack the piss outta them. Bushmasters are a bitch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah, that sucks. Might have to dremel it off...

i was in the same boat about 2 weeks ago. Ended up just having the smith take it off and assemble the upper from parts for 35$... well worth it imo and he warranty's his work too
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Try this too.  Give them a couple of good whacks in the opposite direction.........yeah, that's right......... as if you putting the pins back in!  I had two pins that wouldn't budge on a very old surplus barrel.  Once I did that and switched back to the normal direction, they started to go.  Not easy, but they at least started to move at that point.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Try using a nail  set to get them moving. Good hard steal with a smaller end.

You won't hurt the nail set. Make sure the rest of the upper doesn't wiggle.

Use a good sized hammer and knock the everloving shit out of it. Once it moves then switch to a regular punch. Use a nail set for a finish nail that sinks them so that they can be covered with filler and painted over

I've always managed to do it with the nail set. They have a large squared impact area that transfers more energy...IMHO

Heat it for a short period of time before trying. The difference in expansion of the pins vs. the barrel and block might help too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 3lb mini sledge in my ar kit specifically for stubborn fsb pins. (usually bushmaster)  That, along with a bigger punch to start the pins, and the brownells fsb block have always allowed me to get the stubborn ones to move.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top