Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2008 10:39:00 AM EDT
I have a M&P15 ORC, and i bought a handguard to replace it.

Problem is, it was bigger than the 6 3/4" handguard the rifle came with.

I had it returned and bought a smallerone to solve the problem, but a question still lingers...

Eventually when i want to put a handguard that is lager than the standard handguard, do i have to modify the gas system and that piece in front or can it be moved?

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/35/l_0d8ff9682a3341a9833d69b81b11d3f7.jpg
^This thing at the end of the handguard
I see a pin which looks like it can be punched out but im very new to this so i ask alot of questions.

Does that have tobe gunsmithed?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
the problem i see is moving your gas block. the hole is drilled in the barrel for your gas system. So moving it isnt going to work unless you change your barrel to a midlength or something
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You dont have to modify the gas system.  What you need to do is replace the gas block with a low profile one and replace the handguards with a free float system that covers the gas block.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible to go the opposite direction?  From the 9" hand guard to the 7" without having the gas tube/front sight look odd way out in front of the guard?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Ummmm, short answer, NO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You dont have to modify the gas system.  What you need to do is replace the gas block with a low profile one and replace the handguards with a free float system that covers the gas block.

+1
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top