Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 10:45:50 AM EDT
OK, im new at this so please bear with:
I took an older bushmaster M4 "type" barrel and mated it up with a flattop I got from M&A.
I wasnt sure what M4 cuts were and assumed I should get them as the barrel I was using was an M4.
Uh Oh...hats
Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
Preferably a cheap one; Id rather not buy a whole new upper reciever.

Sincerely
hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Dremel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
yup thats about all you can do short of seeing if the place you bought it from would let you exchange the item, maybe for a small restocking fee.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I wouldn't dick with the dremel.  Strip the upper off,  put it in your parts bin, get a new one without the cuts.  

I have the cuts on my Middy, but it's more of a "flavor of the week" deal.  I would rather not have the cuts than potentially hinder reliability by doing a home job... Just my opinion.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you do the dremel work?
Is the grinding done to the barrel extension out of the gun and rebarreled periodically to check that its matching up??
Sounds dicey...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How do you do the dremel work?
Is the grinding done to the barrel extension out of the gun and rebarreled periodically to check that its matching up??
Sounds dicey...

It doesn't have to match up very well.  Shucks!  The factory COLT feedramps often come a little cock eyed.  But the still run like champs!

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, but is it OK to dremel the Barrel extension???
The upper is allready cut. Id be more apt to cut  ramps into the reciever ( a lot of people do ) than on the barrel...
Im told that its fine to have an M4 cut barrel but NOT a M4 cut reciever on a non M4 cut barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Dremel the barrel extension?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
you can dremel it to match... but its pay $100 for a new upper or $200+ if you screw up the extension
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you can dremel it to match... but its pay $100 for a new correct upper or $200+ if you screw up the extension

Exactly, and if you sell that upper on EE right now while is virtually new to make up some of the cost, you are looking at closer to $30...

Gundraw
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah!  Buy the right parts.  I'm ABSOLUTELY NO FAN of NON ARMORER assembled upper halves.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top