Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:21:14 AM EDT
So my new build was having a Mag problem. I have new heavy springs in my mags and if I load more than 10 rds in a 30rd mag it will not feed correctly. I was testing it this morning with 1 round in a mag to see if it was indeed the mag. So I released the bolt from the rear locked position and it picked up the round fed it into the chamber and the bolt locked closed. When I pulled the charging handle to extraxt the round from the chamber all worked fine. I picked up the round to examine it and noticed a very small indentation in the center of the primer. I did not get a slam fire but it may have been close. So my question is  this. Is it normal for the firing pin to slam foreward and make contact with the chambered round when the bolt slams shut, or do I have a problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
its perfectly normal. The AR-15 does not have a firing pin spring so the momentum of the bolt causes it to put a small dent i the primer
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I thought. But as I am no expert with any single firearm I felt I should ask the question. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
so that kinda scares me.  is the momentum enough to ignite the primer ?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
No its not. It did not fire but it did leave a very small indentation.

I am going to the range tomarrow so I will test it thouroughly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so that kinda scares me.  is the momentum enough to ignite the primer ?

I have never had a Slam Fire on either of my AR's.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top