Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 11:05:30 AM EDT
Hello from icy cold Maine,

I read through the 'build your own' AR-15 tutorial and liked it!

I would like to put one together from the cheapest parts possible. My hobby funds are really low, I usually buy mil-surp guns that are broken and fix them up, some as low as $20.

So, please tell me the ingredients for the cheapest AR build and I will do it with enthusiasm!

Thanks,
Craig

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 sales kit, essential arms lower.  U could be lookin about $500 for that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
So $500 is the lowest?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You could get a del-ton 20" kit ($455) and an essential arms lower ($77) and there you have it. If you found used parts it could be lower.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Shop around on the EE you might be suprised what you'll find. Guys have pieced ARs together buying a little bit at a time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
you could buy a cheaper gun, I know a guy who did it for less than 40 bucks, but he had the other parts..

I would say 500 is reasonable, 450 is pushing it since due to FFL fees in the lower receiver unless you can get it from your local gun dealer ..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
First shop around for the cheapest lower you can find, that may be the hardest part. On Long Island the cheapest I was able to find was RRA's for $155. I now have a Stag on order for $115. After that shop around on the EE looking for bargains. But keep in mind that a Model 1 kit may work out cheaper in the long run. If you can find a used upper, that may save you quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#7]
equipment exchange.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
equipment exchange.

+1

my cheapest build: $352
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
SARCO sells some real cheap "basic" AR-15 parts ,   look for USGI (or Mil-spec) on the barrel , bolt & carrier , as these are the criticall components , and if you want the thing to actually run , and not be just a toy to play with ,   dont go Cheap on these parts , i built a Retro A1Vietnam clone  for around 450 , and i am very happy with it !!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Equipment Exchange.

I've been looking on there for some time now and let me tell ya, there some REAL deals there. I just picked up an RRA midlength barrel, gas tube, FSB, FH and barrel nut for $50. That's probably a fluke, but it happens. Keep looking and good luck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I did this one cheap.

the lower is a forged hi-quality 80% and it was given to me.  A machinist friend and I finished it up.

I bought the DPMS upper, 4 postion stock, 3  mags, complete lower parts kit for around $470 at Knob Creek last spring from the DPMS booth.

I then bought the rear sight seen in the lower front of the pic for $76.

After that I found out the scope in the pic is a Ukranian calibrated for 5.56 with a  lit red reticle normally $180 and my Dad got it in a box of gun parts for $40.  I usually monted it on the rail directlty and it is a great scope. It's on the carry handle for the pic.

I bought the other accessories in the pic over time and Versa-pod was free.

Recently I traded the upper, stock, lower kit , rails,a nd some other stuff for a Saiga .308 converted to P-grip with Ace folder and scope.  I still have the lower, Versa-pod, light sling, scope, and mags of course.

I'm gonna get a 20 inch standard A3 with the picitanny front gas block and maybe and a free float tube too.  I liked this setup, but the Saiga was too goo fof a trade.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top