Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:43:29 PM EDT
How much can a person realistically save by building their own AR?

A regular Bushy A2 runs about 839 bucks here locally. . . . so I guess my question is, how "good" of a gun can I build by myself and still save enough to make it worth my time?

Curious is all. . . . I am going to start collecting ARs now, since I have two already. . . might as well keep going.

Thoughts? Other concerns?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I might just venture into building my own, that way I can really LEARN about what the heck goes into one of these babies, instead of just loving them and shooting the hell out of them.

I like those stag antlers something fierce. . . . anyone want to recommend a reciever with which to start?

I have decided I want 1:7 twist in a 16 inch barrel as well, and a hogue grip! everything else I don't know yet.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
You may save a $100 or so depending on the configuration.  For me it is just as much about the building as it is saving money.  Knowledge is invaluable.

As for lowers, Stag and Rock River are nice (both made by CMT).  I've become a big fan of Mega lowers as well.  Every one I've picked up has been immaculate.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Building it is the fun part.  And it's nice telling all the newbies that you built it yourself :)

I can't wait to build another one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes I think building it myself will really help me learn a lot more about it.
don't I have to worry about different parts fitting exactly right? The major brands are all mil-spec so there's no problems ? ? ?  or is there???

What  barrel do I want, 5.56 or .223, or wylde? I want to shoot factory 55 grain with good accuracy . . . .
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#7]
as long as you stay with main manf like CMT, LMT, RRA, Stag, Mega, DPMS, Bush Master, Most colt parts, you should be fine.
i perfer building, easy on my wife sence im not doing one large purchace but small ones in $100, $150, and $250, it made life much easier. i looked at it as layaway but getting something for each payment. its alot of fun to see it comeing together.
one problem once you start building you will be hooked, darn BRD (Black Rifle Disease).
For barrels or whole uppers i would suggest www.bravocompanyusa.com and www.cmmginc.com both places support this site and both places use M4 extended feedramps on all their barrels. you dont need the ramps but it does not hurt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a stipped lower from CMMG for a $100, more than some much less than others.  The materials and finish are just as good as anything I've seen.  Every part fit exactly as it should, no fitting, no problems.  Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm working on my first build.  Been doing a lot of shopping for price, etc.  Actually, it's a 3-rifle build.  I'm shopping each component group and buying in threes.  Nibble, nibble nibble on the money.  It will be fun, and in the end I will have three nice (light weight) AR's.  Identical, except for the furniture color (black, OD, coyote).  Pics to follow someday
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, you should keep a log here and enter each and every part and price as you build them, then we can have a nice blueprint of sorts to follow!
Anyway keep us informed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:55:57 AM EDT
[#11]
To me building your own means you can make it they way you want it right from the start. If there is a budget or money issue you can build it as you aquire the parts. Guys have built them cheap as beaters or gone the other way and made safe queens.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top