Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 10:18:19 AM EDT
Is something wrong if I have to hammer really hard to ge the roll pin in?  Or is this normal?  Poor lower :(
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is something wrong if I have to hammer really hard to ge the roll pin in?  Or is this normal?  Poor lower :(

You're building a stripped lower and you live in California?  I didn't know that was possible.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
www.calguns.net has a wealth of information on it.  Basically, I have to build it with a "fixed" magazine holding no more than 10 rounds.  That's the jist.  If you're really interested go to the forums on that website and you can read more.  I think the number is at 11,000 lowers in the last few months.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.calguns.net has a wealth of information on it.  Basically, I have to build it with a "fixed" magazine holding no more than 10 rounds.  That's the jist.  If you're really interested go to the forums on that website and you can read more.  I think the number is at 11,000 lowers in the last few months.

Hmm.  Isn't that something.  You learn something new everyday.  To answer your question, it can sometimes be tough to get that pin in there.  I've found that it works well to support the trigger guard area on a 2x4 wrapped in a moving blanket or some type of sturdy cloth for protection.  Tap the pin in just enough so it won't fall out, and then using the appropriate sized roll pin punch drive it in the rest of the way.  You don't want to break off those "ears" so proceed slowly and carefully.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the roll pin supposed to sit flush with the reciever?  I have it down to where the roll pin sticks up like 1mm above the reciever.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
As you're tapping it in, make sure you've got the pin lined up in the other hole.  That happened to me once, and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go in.  If everything is lined up, it could be that the roll pin they gave you was just a hair too long.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is the roll pin supposed to sit flush with the reciever?  I have it down to where the roll pin sticks up like 1mm above the reciever.

Shouldn't matter, as long as it goes all the way through.  Mine is flush with the receiver because I used a small punch and a hammer to hit it in there.

Quoted:
As you're tapping it in, make sure you've got the pin lined up in the other hole.  That happened to me once, and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go in.  If everything is lined up, it could be that the roll pin they gave you was just a hair too long.  MJD

That too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Ideally the trigger guard will fit tight enough to transfer the shock of hitting the pin with a hammer to the support under the lower ear without breaking the ears off. I was thinking the same thing ten years ago when I assembled my lower. Nothing happened. I've been wanting to change out the plastic guard for an aluminum one ever since, but don't want to press my luck on those ears.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just finished building my second lower. I placed a piece of wood under the trigger guard area to keep from damaging it. I also had to squeeze the roll pin, as it was too large. That and some CPL, it popped right in.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top