Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:14:15 AM EDT
I have a stripped used barrel and as I do not have the original sight base or the taper pins I need to install a new sight base. I have never done this before so if it is glaringly obvious just tell me I'm a dumbass and point me in the right direction.

In the tacked "How To" thread above, this statement is made in reference to FSB installation:

"If you are going to mount your FSB back on the same barrel it came off of.... then re-use your taper pins. If you are going to mount the FSB on a different barrel, you will need to drill and tap for set screws to hold it to the barrel. I then drilled with a #21 drill, and tapped with a 10-32 tap. I also had to taper-grind my set screws.... so they were more "pointy" on the front. Without doing this, they would bottom out against the barrel with hardly any threads, and would strip out. Dont get them too tight or they will trip. Use red-loctite on them so they wont back off."

My question is, do you use two screws from one side or four (two from each side).

Now that I think about it, it really is a dumb question. Especially when the friggin' pictures show the gas block being tapped on one side and the finished installation from the other side.

The answer is four.

But I'll leave it up for your amusement. And to give ya'll another opportunity to call me a dumbass.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL!

Yeah, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Dumbass! I'm sorry but you told me to. I really didnt mean to but it was so tempting. Glad you got your problem fixed.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top