Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 9:47:14 AM EDT
What is the best way to stake the nut on a collapsable buffer tube?   I have done a search but cant seem to find the best tool and size?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
red locktite. i wouldn't stake anything
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Use blue loctite instad it is easier to undue the lock nut!!! If you use red loctite you will need heat to loosen the nut!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never had a lockring come undone without LokTite.  With my first two builds, I used blue LokTite.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I staked mine.  Necessary, probably not.  As another uses said, unless you are going to be using the thing as a hammer staking it isn't needed.

I just did mine that way because an old Marine armorer showed me how to do it.

I have an old steel punch that I jsut held an an angle over the plate where it mated with the recess in the castle nut, and gave it a whack with the hammer.  After doing it to two of them, i tapped the metal further down into the recesses.  No biggie, and can still be removed.  Can always get a new plate if necessary.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If you ever sell that lower with the buttstock and you used red loctite or have staked it, the new owner is gonna be pissed.

Ask me how I know...  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#6]
No stake, just Loctite®, unless you abuse the hell out of your rifle, i.e. use as crowbar or bat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I use blue locktite.  Mine have never come undone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
newbie here - so I hope I´m still allowed to hijack a thread just this oncehich
james
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't worry about the lockring on backwards, just use a channel lock to remove it when you need to then buy another to put back on with notches to rear.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top