Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:29 PM EDT

I've heard that early versions of M16A2s/AR15A2s would accept old M16A1 triangle handguards on their barrels, but newer ones might not--is there any truth to this? If so, does the slip ring play a role in this?

The reason I ask is that I've been thinking of putting together a rifle with both A1 and A2 features, and I'd really like to keep the A1 handguards if I can. I think they're a lot more comfortable than the A2 handguards, and just look cooler too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You may have to dremel out a little material at the front of the hanguards to clear the heavier barrel, but they should work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I was also wondering if A2 & A1 handguards were interchangable.  Anyone ever had problems swapping one with the other?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If the rifle the HGs are to be mounted on has a true A2 profile, and a triangle front bracket, the two types of HGs are interchangable w/o any problem.

If the barrel is, in fact a heavy version under the HGs, then you might have to do the routing mentioned above.

Most of the barrels out there will have the triangle front bracket, but I have seen an occasional civie barrel w/a round front piece.  If yours is one of them, you're SOL for triangle HGs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the rifle the HGs are to be mounted on has a true A2 profile, and a triangle front bracket, the two types of HGs are interchangable w/o any problem.

If the barrel is, in fact a heavy version under the HGs, then you might have to do the routing mentioned above.

Most of the barrels out there will have the triangle front bracket, but I have seen an occasional civie barrel w/a round front piece.  If yours is one of them, you're SOL for triangle HGs.

Thanks for this info!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top